Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell inspiron 531S says no audio device is installed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

I reloaded my operating system, but now my computer says 'Audio device is not installed' and I have no sound. Also the speaker icon has a big X through it

How do I fix this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

You need to either download...or use the appropriate drivers CD...then install the audio drivers for your particular system.

These are generally available at the website of the system manufacturer, unless it's custom/self-built...in which case, the drivers for the individual components are available at the respective websites of the manufacturer of the specific component.

XP Drivers for Inspiron 531S

Select the appropriate audio driver, download it...install according to Dell instructions.

Louis

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

hamlius:
I did that. After installing the OS from the original disk, I installed the drivers, including the audio driver, from the drivers disk. And then rebooted. But the problem didnt go awy, and the speaker icon still has the big red x. Next, I went to the dell website to get the drivers, thinking the drivers on the disk were corrupt. I installed both drivers, but neither makes the 'Adio device is not installed' problem go away. Then I went to the BIOS, thinking maybe the audio device was disabled in the BIOS. Not so, it was enabled. I disabled it, then rebooted, then enabled it, but the problem still persists.

I dont know what else to do, and the wonderful guys at DELL wont help me cause my system is a month out of warranty

What else can I try? By the way, it is onboard audio.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Which of the two audio drivers listed at the Dell site...did you install?

Only one will work properly, your system only has 1 sound device. If you installed the first...try the second one...and vice versa.

You might also want to try Removing unused device drivers from Windows XP machines - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...tml?tag=nl.e101.

Louis

#5 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

I downloaded and installed the first one. No luck. Then I tried the other driver, still no luck

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

Go to Device Manager in the Control Panel

DO you see any devices with an exclamation mark next to the devices name?

If so, this is a shot in the dark, but try right clicking the device and choose properties.

Look for the drivers tab and look for update driver.

If you have a disk, have it search the disk for the correct drivers, sometimes windows is stupid and can't find things on its own, you may have to point windows to the .inf file related to your hardware.

This file is an informational text file, that windows reads and adds to its information data base, this instructs windows on how to use your hardware and what system drivers it needs to make the hardware work correctly. Sorry I got a little techie there...... LOL.

But you need to point it towards that .inf file and whoola away you go, your device should start functioning!

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

No, there are no exclamaion marks in device manager. I have the drivers CD with me, and I downloaded the drivers from there too for the audio, but the problem wont go away. How do I find that inf file that you were saying

#8 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

Man, dell must have changed something, usually the audio shows enabled as soon as I download the driver. This model shows the red X in the speaker icon, but ... lo and behold , the red X disappears, nd everything is dandy. Man I shoulda just plugged in a speaker before going nuts over this and that. Oh well live and learn!!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users