Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating Install Cd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jt23

jt23

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

My grandad has a dell computer that he doesn't use anymore since he got a new mac. Well I was thinking about taking it from him since he wants to get rid of it and using it for the internet in my room. The main thing is that he doesn't know where the re-installation cd is for win-xp and if I was going to use the computer I would want to format the drive and start with a fresh install of win-xp is there any way this can be done without the re-install cd. Since win-xp is already installed can I create a install cd from that.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

You could try contacting Dell...for replacements.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Reinstalling is a good idea so do some preparation and planning.

I would not count on making an XP installation CD from an existing system.

Systems that are store bought or second hand sometimes do not come with genuine XP installation media so like hamluis says - you can contact the manufacturer and they may send/sell you one :thumbsup: (<-- not at hamluis)

There is nothing wrong (illegal) with you finding someone that has a genuine bootable XP installation CD and making a copy of it and using the licence information from your current installation to reinstall with your copy of the installation CD. You can't legitimately use someone else's license information, but your XP should already have a license so you need to figure out what it is before you reinstall.

Before you reformat, retrieve you current XP installation license using one of many popular third party tools like this one:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I like to run that and print or write down all the licence info it finds since it will tell you about more things than just XP. Try it now! Keep the information with your installation medias. The information for XP may be on a sticker attached to a store bought system - but don't count on it and the tool will tell you exactly what it is with certainty.

You will be ahead of the game in the long run to have something that you know is real - believe me! If you don't have the license information before you reinstall you may not find much sympathy from others either. It is best to play it safe and be legit.

Here are some links about a method to crate a CD but I have not tried it and you can investigate if your system is like the examples shown. I would just find a CD long enough to make a copy though - to be sure.

Create a bootable XP CD from a pre installed OEM OS system that has an i386 folder.

The will allow you to slip stream SP3 into a copy of the current i386 folder.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml

Some say it is not possible:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/can_i_create_...llation_cd.html

Edited by joseibarra, 09 March 2010 - 04:12 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

It may have recovery partition.
Try to press CTRL + F11 at Dell's logo.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:42 PM

You could try contacting Dell...for replacements.

Louis

Hey thanks for all the great info. I do know for a fact that this computer was bought from the Dell website and I'm pretty sure it did come with a cd but just don't know where it is. But I will check into what you were talking about.

I have a computer at home with win-xp on it I might be able to make a copy of that install cd and then I can use the key-code on the side of the computer with the windows genuine tag.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

That should work, as long as the two match (XP Home CD, XP Home license...or XP Pro CD, XP Pro license).

Not sure where the XP MCE versions fit into the strategy of using a different CD with the license.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users