Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protected WP docs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 KJ7380

KJ7380

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

Hey to all!

I'm sure I'm not alone -- I password protected a document in an older version of WP (don't know which version but the doc was stored on a floppy disk sometime in 1995). It's not a vitally important document but, if at all possible, I'd like to retrieve it.

I don't have any skills re: programming or code. I'm just a software user. I did manage to open the file in WordPad but, of course it's encrypted.

My questions are:

1. Is there any way for a non-programmer type to retrieve this file?

2. In the encrypted file shown in WordPad, the first line is 6 characters. Would this be the encrypted password? Is the encryption anything like a cryptoquote puzzle or is it infinitely more sophisticated?

I've been trying my best guesses but so far no luck.

Any help you can give me or even a definite answer of not possible would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

I have a feeling that it's not possible.

Apart from that, it is against forum rules to discuss or suggest any method of bypassing security features, sorry.

Edited by petewills , 09 March 2010 - 02:17 PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

Your request is genuine, and we empathize with your plight. However we have no way of verifying your claim or anyone who makes similar ones. Additionally the information if posted openly could be used for less than savory means against others, which would be as petewills has stated: 'against forum rules'.

Thank you for understanding why we are unable to help you. This topic is now closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users