Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drew14568

drew14568

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

I just got out of a Norton help session and the conclusion was that my operating system was corrupt.I was told I should reinstall the operating system.I have a HP Pavilion dv 4000 with XP Home edition.I have the operating system CD. Do you have any special instructions for reinstalling the operating system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hello Drew and welcome to the forum!

Dont go that far unless you absolutely have to!

Post more info about the problem as well as any error messages (if any).
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

if you absolutely have to reinstall the os then make sure you back up any documents, music, pictures, programs, anything that was put on the computer by you. you dont want to be stuck with a fresh install of an os and not have any of your important files.

#4 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

If that is your only computer make sure that you atleast have your Network driver just incase you CD doesn't install it. When i reinstall mine does but your might be diffrent, and always back up you files. :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

On an HP system...HP determines what your reinstall/recovery options are for that system.

Of course...if you can borrow a copy of the appropriate Microsoft install CD and use that with your HP license...you could do a repair install of XP, whereby system files are replaced by new ones.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

What issues are you having?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users