Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing xp theme

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Freddie3782

Freddie3782

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

I have seen these computer screen shots of these cool themes that change the visual part of windows start menu and windows themselfs.
If anyone know the process I need to take to do this. that would be cool. I downloaded some but nothing happens. when I go to the theme portion
of my OS properties the theme doesn't appear. only the xp theme and the classic theme.
Does anyone know a good site to get these themes.
Is this actually possible?
can I do it with SP3?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

I think you are thinking about the program Window blinds. It is not free but is very chep.

http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

Word of caution, windows themes downloaded from the web are fraught with the risk of malware. Scan diligently. Additionally they have a tendency to utilize more resources than already used with the native theme. So if you have a marginal system now, it could become even more frustrating.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

To use 3rd party themes, you'll have to patch uxtheme.dll, which I believe is illegal, so I won't post any more about it. You might consider some signed themes.
Zune Theme
Posted Image
Download
Royale
Posted Image
Download
Windows Embedded Standard
Posted Image
Download
Nunavut
Posted Image
Download

You might consider Vista Start Menu to make the start menu look like Vista's.
Posted Image
Download

#5 molecul3

molecul3

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

i used to use StyleXP.. pretty cool
or go to sites like deviantart.com and download XP visual styles

#6 ben130

ben130

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

I would much rather have a simple wallpaper Changer. The one I actually use is winter fun pack 2004 from Microsoft. I have a couple of hundred wallpapers and often make my own. They are all Chrismas themed and are maybe wallpaper i have found or made, say from postcards stiched together and enhanced to as near as I can get to 1920x1200 rez. of my computer screen. I like snowflake as well and use the filters in the free version of 'Photofiltre' but this is all I use that for preferring the faster CS for rez. etc.

#7 Mike_O

Mike_O

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

I recently discovered UxStyle, an alternative to 'patching' uxtheme.dll (something I would never consider or recommend having heard of the massive problems that can cause). It adds a new service that works in conjunction with the existing 'Themes' service to allow the application of unsigned themes, using a tiny amount of memory in the process (currently 44k on my system).

I would also suggest restricting your search for new themes to well known sites such as DeviantArt to avoid picking up an infection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users