Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to upload video...rdbss.sys error?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GuinnessPhish

GuinnessPhish

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

The problem I'm having is that I am unable to upload videos to youtube (or any other site, for that matter). I've uploaded many videos from this computer in the past with no problem, and the videos I'm trying to upload are not too large or too long in length, as I've uploaded them from a different computer with no problem, taking very little time to upload.

When I try to upload the videos, they start to upload, but then the progress bar just freezes, and I am then unable to browse any other sites at all, and the upload never completes. I then have to restart the computer in order to have any web browsing capabilities. I've tried using firefox and internet explorer with the same results, and I've also uninstalled and reinstalled both browsers.

If I do not upload any videos to youtube, the computer seems to work fine.

I tried to upload videos while in safe mode, and when I did that a blue error screen popped up:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: rdbss.sys"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

One answer, http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1554401.

Additionally, I think I would run the sfc /scannow command.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#3 GuinnessPhish

GuinnessPhish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

Thanks for the reply....

I ran the "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" command and it didn't prompt me with anything once it checked the files to make sure they were intact....so, that means that everything was ok there, right?

Any other suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

No, it doesn't...IMO, it makes it more likely than ever that something is wrong with your system.

My experience is that running sfc /scannow ALWAYS prompts for the CD.

System manufacturer and model?

What SP is the latest installed on your system? What SP is the latest installed on whatever XP CD you may have?

Louis

#5 GuinnessPhish

GuinnessPhish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

System:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Dell DIMENSION DIM4600
Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

"What SP is the latest installed on your system? What SP is the latest installed on whatever XP CD you may have?"

I don't have a XP CD....I don't believe the computer came with one.

#6 GuinnessPhish

GuinnessPhish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

No, it doesn't...IMO, it makes it more likely than ever that something is wrong with your system.

My experience is that running sfc /scannow ALWAYS prompts for the CD.

When I run "sfc /scannow" a window pops up:

"Windows File Protection: Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions. (Status bar and "Cancel" button)"

#7 GuinnessPhish

GuinnessPhish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:14 AM

any other thoughts as to how to fix this issue?

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

I have this Dell system, also upgraded to SP3.

What version of rdbss.sys do you currently have - check file properties, to see if it is a genuine Windows file
or a malware pest. The file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Right click on it and select 'properties'.

You could run Malwarebytes and / or SuperAntiSpyware to check your system first.

SuperAntiSpyware:

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Malwarebytes:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Important: Rename the downloaded mbam-setup.exe file to mynewscanningfile.exe to help work
around certain malware that will block it from being run, or to a name of your choosing.

I suppose that if the only error relates to rdbss.sys, it would be worth replacing the file.

Whilst there are copies of the original file in the I386 folder on your computer and on your reinstallation disk,
as you have upgraded to SP3, you need an updated version.

(Current file on my computer is 172KB - 13.4.2008 v 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp 080413-2111).

btw, if your system was bought around 2003, you should have a Maroon? Dell Disk, not a Windows XP CD,
with the following info on it:

' Operating System
Reinstallation CD
MS Windows XP Home Edition
Including Service Pack 1 '

#9 David589

David589

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

I prefer my myspace for uploading video is fine. It is the best resource for videos. This is common problem that huge video files don't upload properly. Try to edit video and split into parts. I will help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users