Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of death ---virus somewhere

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jewelsandapples

jewelsandapples

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi

I am new here. Just wanted to post, so I have physical proof of pc investigation. I am about to start work on a computer.
The computer I am getting to work on displayed the blue screen of death.
The operator somehow got the pc to do a system restore and it is currently working.
However, we all know the virus is still there somewhere.

I will suggest doing a backup and then tell him he has to let go of the pc, so I can check into the issues.
This could take a couple of days. Continuing to use it could shut pc down forever.

I am going here first:

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

am I on the right track? I hope so, cause I need you guys. or gals.
will be back

jewelsandapples

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

<<am I on the right track?>>

Not...if you think that every BSOD is the result of malware :thumbsup:. Any number of things can result in a BSOD or series of such, with hardware/driver problems ranking up there with damaged files, IMO.

You might try running BlueScreenView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 jewelsandapples

jewelsandapples
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for quick reply, I did a bluescreen view, it doesn't pick up anything. Empty.
There was a blue screen with a message in the corner that said 42 threats,
purchase license to fix. the message box disappeared and left totally blue screen.
Somehow boss used a basic system restore so now the pc is working.

What do I do Now?

Jane

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

<>

That means that you don't have any BSOD files, which means that you didn't have any BSODs :thumbsup:. The files are generated automatically after a Windows BSOD.

<purchase license to fix.>>

Sounds like the system has one of the phony antimalware programs on it...there are several and the suggestions for eliminating them vary.

You need to identify it...or provide more info on it to eliminate it.

First thing I would do...ensure that the system is current with critical updates.

Since the system is now working...I suggest running Malwarebytes as a first step, to be followed by a current scan using your installed AV program. I would then follow that up with a detailed scan using SUPERAntiSpyware.

But...I would really suggest that you post at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/. The personnel there have expertise with malware, whereas my suggestions/ideas are just the product of my own fumbling efforts.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users