Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Not Responding. In Task Mgr...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alohano

Alohano

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

My IE has locked up frequently. In each case of this happening, when I access the Task Manager, if I have one page up in IE, the page appears TWICE.

It is very difficult to clear either/both.

So why does one internet page appear twice in the task manager to begin with? And what is the cause.

I'm a newbie so I humbly apologize if this questions has been answered elsewhere. I did try to look for the answer before posting.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

I suspect that IE works this way...one process for IE itself, another process for each window opened.

I'm curious as to how you can tell...what webpage is open...by looking at Task Manager. I can't.

As for IE locking up...I suggest you take a look in Event Viewer for errors...and take a look at the toolbars/add-ons you have installed in IE.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You might also check to see that all critical updates to XP are installed.

Louis

#3 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

if nothing else try resintalling IE, its free

#4 Alohano

Alohano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

Thank you very much for your reply hamluis.

Re my problem, it's very, very simple. I would have only one internet page up, can be any site, such as cnn.com. I can confirm that only one internet page is up as there is only one tab at the bottom of the browser next to the start icon.

So let's say it is cnn. It would simply lock up and stop operating...can no longer browse, etc and the top then displays cnn.com (Not Responding).

So when I ctrl, alt, del, in the task manager there are TWO cnn.com and they both are not responding.

It then becomes very difficult to end task for either/both and then have to basically reboot the pc.

Thank you in advance for your review and help!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

OK...I see now :thumbsup:..

You are not looking at the Process tab, but at the Application tab.

I can explain that one :flowers:.

Say that I'm running IE and have this webpage open. That is one listing on the Applications tab of Task Manager.

When I try to close that webpage (unsuccessfully) , using the Applications tab of Task Manager...that automatically creates a second listing. The original webpage is reflected, as well as my attempt to close it.

To close the page, I now have to delete two listings under the Application tab.

FWIW: This kind of thing happens to me also.

I've never found it difficult to End Task any program when this happens. I just put the list in alphabetical order, find the offending program listings...and click End Task on each.

Why this happens...I don't know. I only know that it will happen with certain applications I use and I suspect it's because the code is poor and I'm unable to update the program.

In your case...I would make sure that I have the latest version of IE installed, along with all critical updates.

If you already have IE8 installed...I have no clue. Maybe examine what add-ons you have installed.

Louis

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Also make sure JAVA is up to date and remove the older versions

Edited by garmanma, 09 March 2010 - 03:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Alohano

Alohano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

Thank you all for your information.....is there a quick/easy way to insure I have the latest version of java and especially, how to remove previous/multiple/old versions.

My apologies for your responding to a PC dunce.

Aloha and thank you again.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

Take a look at

Java - Test your browser - http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm (test for Java Script)

What Version of Java Are You Running - http://javatester.org/version.html OR http://www.java.com/en/download/dt_verify....rs_jre=1.6.0_18

No need to visit other sites or install other Java applications, if you are current.

Louis

As for removal...I believe that's done when the update is accomplished at the Java site. If not, read that java.com page and it should have details on how to remove older (vulnerable) versions.

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

JavaRa
Checks, fixes, and uninstalls
You want the binary zip download:
http://raproducts.org/

Version 6 update 18
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Alohano

Alohano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

Thank you very much to all. I will do everything you say and report back to let you know if I am encountering the same issue.

Aloha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users