Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot of desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pankaj Mittal

Pankaj Mittal

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hello
Iam facing a problem in my 3 year old home computer. For past two weeks I have noticed that my desktop computer is taking a lot of time to start. The break down details of timings (measured with a stop watch) the moment the CPU is switched on are as under :
HCL logo screen appears for 13.8 seconds
Black screen appears for 6 seconds
Windows XP logo appears for 18.2 seconds
Black screen appears for 4.0 seconds
Blue screen with ‘Welcome’ logo appears for 22.8 seconds
Desktop with all system tray icons 25.0 seconds
Red light of CPU glows continuously for 43.8 seconds after the last system tray icon appears in the system tray (till this period the computer remains busy & no command is executed)
Thus the total time taken by the computer to be usable is 133.60 seconds
Once the computer becomes usable then there is no problem at all & it runs smoothly & even shuts down fast as before. My system’s configuration is Pentium Dual Core 2.66 Ghz, 768 (512+256) MB DDR-I RAM, 80 GB hard disk, Windows XP Professional SP3 (fully updated upto one month back), Registered version of Quick Heal Anti virus Plus 2009 edition (fully updated).
I scanned the computer with Quick Heal in native & normal mode, ran anti root kit check, anti malware check but found no viruses/infections. I even installed the latest version (fully updated) of AVG free & performed a full scan & found no viruses at all. Lastly I performed the CHKDSK/F check but found no errors. My C drive (20 GB) which has the operating system is having 40% (8.28 GB) free space. When the system is idle, the task manager shows the CPU usage as 0-1% & RAM usage 335 MB.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Download Autoruns:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Click on just the Logon tab and see what all is running when you first start up
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users