Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help finding a backup Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

I have been having HDD problems on my other computers and have decided it is time to get a backup drive for my main personal computer. sadly I have 2TB worth of internal drive space at about 50% capacity. so I am thinking about getting a 2TB esata drive since my computer has esata and that would get a back up in decent time compared to USB. the problem is I am having a hard time finding a drive like that for a half way decent price. I would love to find one for under $200 but right now the goal is less then $400. any advice/links to sites or products would be extremely useful. and any other advice for backup ideas would be great.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

At this point in time...if I wanted to use an external hard drive, I would buy a USB 3.0 controller card (which would be faster than eSATA, from what I read).

I advise anyone against placing all the eggs in one drive :thumbsup:. Drives go bad routinely, no matter who they are made by or what logo is on them. I believe in hedging against that risk.

Or...don't use that external drive for daily computing.

Or...clone your partition/drive...to another drive which you won't use.

Louis

#3 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

If I understand the question correctly

Go to zipzoomfly
Get an OEM (no fancy box) hard drive. whatever size you want
Buy an external enclosure
Put HDD in enclosure (easy)
Connect external HDD to PC.
Done.

#4 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

Basically I just want to know where I can get the best deal for an external 2TB HDD That would be able to back up 2TB worth of data at a reasonable pace. i.e. won't take a whole day to back up like I'm sure usb 1.0 or 2.0 would.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users