Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

battery problem?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

I have a Vista Computer with 512 MB. But the user only wants to access his email. It has a battery which according to the computer is not accepted. Here is the delimema. I reformatted the computer with Vista, put in the battery. When I restarted it it didnt bootup. Now I don't have the battery in and it seems to be okay. I am tempted to put in Windows XP, however I'm not sure its legal to downgrade.

Why would a battery cause an issue? I can order a new battery for around $60.00, how would I know whether or not the same thing will happen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

There are a couple of causes as to why a laptop will not boot with the battery inserted.

1. The battery may no longer be able to accept a charge and is causing the charging circuit to go into OverLoad state thus causing the laptop not to boot with this particular battery inserted.

2. The DC charging circuit may have gone bad and is also causing the very similar condition as a defective battery.

3. The DC Power supply may no longer be able to provide the amperage needed to run the laptop and also charge the battery at the same time. When inserted, the battery overloads the power supply and the power supply shuts down.

I would first try another power supply. Connect the power supply to the laptop and insert the battery with the laptop off. See if the charge light comes on on the laptop. If it does, try powering the laptop on.

If that fails, I would then try another battery. If the laptop is a few years old, it's possible that the existing battery has reached its useful life and will no longer accept a charge.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

When I had the battery in the computer, the power meter showed that the battery charged 100%. I took out the power adapter and the battery was providing the power. However when I rebooted the computer, it said that the battery wasn't recognized. If I order a new battery how can I tell if the battery will work or corrupt the operating system? Unfortunately, I do have batteries for laptops, nut not the right type.

I guess the battery could have some circuitry problem unless its vista. I just hate to put out money if if wont help the situation. Is there anyway to test the battery?

Is it legal to downgrade a computer from vista to xp? The license is for vista. The xp would probably be accepted because its from Dell. BTW the model is Dell Dimension e1501.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

I found on Dell's site an Inspiron 1501. If this is your laptop, have a look under System Utilities and you will see "Recommended Vista Power Management Settings" and "Notebook System Software". One of these two might just take care of your charging issue.

I also found an Inspiron E1505 which has the same utilities as the 1501. One of these two might take care of your issues.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thanks!
I was able to install all the updates and put in Avast AntiVirus. It is sort of slow but it boots without the battery in it. I will do the e1501 updates after I get a new battery. I think that might be the best idea.

Thanks for your quick response.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

You're welcome

:thumbsup:
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

One more issue came up. I must of had the computer turned off for approximately 3 hours. When I booted it up, it came with a message like the operating system wasnt there. I rebooted it and the problem went away. After this, I did a hard drive error checking. I am trying to figure out why this happened. I was thinking maybe it was caused by the lack of memory. I was also thinking that maybe this is a vista problem that I will never solve. If I downgrade to XP, will this happen? Is this laptop haunted????

#8 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

Besides a disk check, I will also run a memory diagnostic check. I want to find out why that happened. Is it Vista, the lack of memory, a bad hard drive, bad memory. I will put in the power management utility like you recommended earlier.

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

You may want to think about testing your hard drive with the manufacturer's testing utility. A list of manufacturer's testing utilities can be found here.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#10 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

The hard drive in the laptop was hitachi, so I ran the scan and it came out fine. I left the laptop overnight and it seemed that disk error checking may have resolved the problem. (keep your fingers crossed)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users