Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad CRC On Downloads

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xiosen

xiosen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

For the last month, I have been unable to download anything outside of IE. Whenever I download a file from chrome, free download manager, firefox, etc it gives me a Bad CRC error or the file is corrupt. However when I download from IE it works fine.

I have tried upgrading my download manager at first and then I upgraded my bios from reading some other forums with no luck. Ive also upgraded my winrar to the latest version. Ive tried other browsers but IE seems to be the only one that works for downloading a file. So far I have tried downloading .rar, .zip, self extracting .exe, all with the same problem.

I also tried winrar repair tool and it does find a bunch of errors like the following:
Sector 210211 (offsets 66A4600...66A4800) damaged
---> sector recovered

I have been researching to no avail. I am not sure what steps I should take next to try and resolve this issue.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP 2

Thank you for any advice you might have!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

This forum suggests it is you LAN connection or network card
http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=32700
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 xiosen

xiosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

THanks garmanma, but it looks like they sovled this problem through nvidia which m computer doesnt have.

I have since tried upgrading my ethernet controller driver but it ends up not working. Once I upgrade the driver my internet is unable to connect and when I revert back to the older driver it works but the download problem exists.

Ive also upgraded the chipset and BIOS to the latest versions and the problem still exists. Im not sure what else to try?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

A new NIC?

Dirt cheap these days.

Louis

#5 xiosen

xiosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

Im going to get a new NIC today and try it out tonight. I hope this fixes it but I have no idea why would downloading work on IE and not everything else with problem nic?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

This could also be due to RAM. A New nic is cheaper so go that route first.

#7 xiosen

xiosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

I installed a new NIC yesterday and the problem still exists. So far I have upgraded Nic, Bios, Chipset, Winrar, Download Manager, Windows Updates.

I also checked again that downloading through IE works but through chrome or any other method does not. The files I have tried downloading all work when downloaded on another computer through the same internet connection.

Is there any other thing to try before the RAM?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

Stop using download managers as they are useless, and can cause many issues such as the one you are having.

#9 xiosen

xiosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

I use download managers not download accelerators as I need an easy way to download collections of files without manually going to every link through the browser. However the problem I am having is happening even when downloading files through the browser so it is deeper than a download manager.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

Download Accelerators/Managers are one in the same in my opinion.

Does this happen with all browsers such as: IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, SeaMOnkey, Netscape, and the various others out there?

#11 xiosen

xiosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

So far I have tried to download a .rar file.

It does work in Firefox and IE.

It doesnt work in Chrome, Free Download Manager, JDownloader. I am unable to get Safari working.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

If it works in Firefox and IE your issue is with the other applications so I would suggest removing all of them and only installing Chrome and Safari. You do not need download managers/accelerators they are useless and quite honestly a waste of time and system resources. Not to mention they can possess security issues that can make your machine completely useless. Flashget is one that comes to mind that can and has been known to spread malicious software to people. Its one reason I do not use them, and if I was downloading a lot of files and stuff I would try to locate a dump site that has all those files in one file.

What is it that you download that makes you think you need managers/accelerators to do the work for you?

#13 xiosen

xiosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

I guess I do not need a download manager but Chrome is the one it does NOT work in and Safari I do not know yet. For my system firefox seems to not run nearly as fast as it should which is the reason I run Chrome. However if the problem exists on chrome and the download managers what other tool or application can I download files in without using the slow firefox or ancient IE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users