Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install of XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rwmitch65

Rwmitch65

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

I am attempting to do a clean install of Xp.

The machine runs really slow and I have a bunch of stuff that I do not use and want to get rid of.
I do not have a window xp disk. all that I have is the reinstall disk that come with the system

It is an older Dell ( about 6 yrs old)
it is a pent 4 3 ghz with 256 of ram ( but I know that I have more than that, will address that later)

I put the disk in and click the Install xp option I get the error message that the version that I am trying to install is older than whats on the computer and files and setting will be lost.

I know this and have backed everything up.

My question is how do I get around this and reinstall xp?

Thanks

have searched the arcives but did not find anything like this.

Anymore info need?

bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

Dell is responsible for providing guidance on how to use any CDs accompanying a Dell system.

Have you looked at your owner's manual...or the documentation for your specific syste at the Dell website?

What model system is this?

Louis

#3 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

It sounds like you arent booting from the cd, if you put the cd in the tray and quick restart the computer you should get to reinstall windows. Somewhere you can choose a full or quick format. Quick format will be fine.
If that isnt happening you may have to enter bios, [hit f2 during start up-the black screen] and make sure the boot order is cd drive before hard drive.
What model Dell is that? Oh, dont forget to find your drivers for after the reinstall of Windows.
And yes adding RAM will do wonders. Try to get at least 2 gig.

Edited by rosiesdad, 09 March 2010 - 10:55 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

If the user only has a CD that is a recovery/restore CD...drivers are not an issue that needs address outside of those contained in the restore/recovery mechanism.

Louis

#5 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

If the user only has a CD that is a recovery/restore CD...drivers are not an issue that needs address outside of those contained in the restore/recovery mechanism.

Louis

That vintage of Dell's had a XP reinstall cd (at least mine does).
So I think we need to find out if thats the case or if its a recovery cd.

The full Reinstall cd should read:

Operating System
reinstallation cd
Microsoft Windows XP xxx edition
including Service pack 1 or 2

Only use this cd to reinstall the operatins system on a Dell computer.

If its a recovery cd, it will say something else.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

Well...if we ever find out what the system model is...it's easy enough to look up how it's configured and what support options are available :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Rwmitch65

Rwmitch65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

It is a Dell Dimension 4600.

Is this what you are asking for? If not where do I find the info thats needed?

thanks for the help

Edited by Rwmitch65, 09 March 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#8 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

Ok, look at the dell cd, what is the verbage on it?
FWIW, mine is the Dell 4700, similar age, so thats what I am going by.

#9 Rwmitch65

Rwmitch65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

Reistallation cd Microsoft Windows xp home edition Including service pack 1

this is the one that I have

#10 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

:thumbsup: Correct cd for reinstalling XP. Ok, put that in the cd drive, and restart the computer. If you get the screens to install XP youre all set. If not, go into bios and change the boot order to cd drive first.
Dont forget to chose to format when that screen comes up. You will loose all files and folders and programs. So save what you need first. Dont forget about those drivers. You may have a blue Dell cd with the drivers for your computer already on it. If not you need to go to go here http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=dhs and get your recommended drivers and burn them to a cd. Otherwise you wont have drivers to even get online. The Dell driver cd is the easiest route if you have it.
Be prepared for a few hours of computer fun..

Edited by rosiesdad, 09 March 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#11 Rwmitch65

Rwmitch65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

have both cds how do I get in the bios? It has been awhile that I have done that.

have rebooted the machine and it starts normally

thanks for the help

#12 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Boot the computer (after its off, turn it on) when the Blue dell screen comes on, BE READY with you finger on f2. There is only a short time to get this done, then its too late and you have to try again.
So this means you have tried to boot the computer with the XP cd in the drive, and its NOT BOOTING to the cd? right?
Anyway, you get to the set up menu, and arrow down to boot sequence. On the right part of the screen you should have as many as 5 devices, but your onboard hard drive should be AFTER the CD-ROM drive (main cd drive, if you have 2 its almost always the top one.
If you have to change the boot order, hit enter while in the boot sequence and you can rearrange the boot order. Its a little tricky, select a device, and use the letter U or letter D to change the order. After the changes are made, press enter, and save changes and let us know how it goes.

Edited by rosiesdad, 10 March 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#13 Rwmitch65

Rwmitch65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

thnaks for all the help

I was able to reinstall xp now I am relaoding just the programs that I want and use.
Have added memory so that is nice.

Like this site
bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users