Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery Hardware, need help identifying what it is

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zuluster

Zuluster

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

So I came across this screen in the trash and I cant figure out what it is. Im pretty sure its a front panel attachment for a desktop maybe to show temperature readings or something of the sort, but I'm not sure about that because of the connections. There is the standard power plug for a desktop computer with two prongs in it and another cord that looks like an audio or video-in connection, but I have no clue what it would connect to. There is absolutely no words or numbers that can identify what it is. Only a serial number that hasnt helped at all, 040020. Any clues as to what it is from the pictures?

Attached Files

• Attached File  031.jpg   140.21KB   20 downloads
  • Attached File  034.jpg   171.25KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  033.jpg   167.09KB   19 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

The white power connecter has 2 pins in it which has pin # 3 which is attached to a black wire, this is ground and pin #4 is attached to a red wire which is +5 volts. This plug connects to a PSU wire which usually goes to IDE harddrives or IDE optical drives.

The female RCA plug could possibly go to an audio device through a RCA patch cord.

Although I might be wrong about that, as there might be another part of this hardware that's missing and that hardware is what the RCA plug attaches to.

Be careful, as this device might be damaged electronicly and could cause damage to your system.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 March 2010 - 11:38 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

Do you see any FCC numbers stenciled on the circuit board anywhere?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Zuluster

Zuluster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

@MrBruce,
That is a possibility I haven't thought of. Perhaps there is another piece that I'm missing. I'm really intrigued as to what this is, so I'm hoping that there isn't.

@Garmanma,
No numbers at all, just the serial number I posted. Its frustrating. The only other option I could think of is to take apart the circuit board and look for numbers underneath. But it looks like it will be unlikely that there will be any.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

Well from the pic you posted I only seen two pins on the power connector, it looks like pin #1 and pin #2 are missing.

Unless they were broken off for some reason, I'd say this device was intended to be only powered by the 5 Volt rail from the PSU.

I would try looking for information off of the IC chips on this board, try googling the numbers you see in white lettering on top of the chips.

This might give you an idea what those chips were designed for and what this device is meant to do.

There most likely was a label stuck to the board, but it probably has since fallen off.

I am not sure what the flat square area is though, the one opposite the printed circuit side of the board.

Did you say it looks like a screen? like as in LCD video screen?

I have electronic data books related to all sorts of circuit board components including IC chips, if you can't find any info on those chip numbers, post them and I'll look them up for you.

Also one last request, can you post a pic of a side view of this device? preferably a side showing any sockets or at lease a view of where the connectors you had in your hand are coming out.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 March 2010 - 12:02 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Zuluster

Zuluster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

Ok, I cracked it open to see what I could find and here are the results (sorry if they are a little blurry):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also found a forum thread where a guy has just the screen which says SHARP PC0VP0037 on the back, this was covered by the board before. I also noticed a little black switch next to the power cord and rca cord. Other forum with pics of the LCD screen

@MrBruce1959,
I'm not sure where the IC chip is. If its the black one that says UTC TL494, I googled that, but only got Asian sites. The two pins inside weren't broken off, at least from the looks of it, there was only supposed to be two.

That flat square area only says HIGH VOLTAGE CAUTION with some chinese(?) above it.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

But it looks like it will be unlikely that there will be any.

It's got to be there somewhere
Federal law
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 mrxb06

mrxb06

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

This device is a composite video monitor it is powered via 12vdc and the rca connector will accept ntsc composite video only. i have a pair of these im attempting to find information on driving the lcd portion of these screen from another source ie vga or standalone micro-controller

#9 Zuluster

Zuluster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the info, here is a cable to convert from S-video out to Composite in. I also found this to do a VGA to composite converter. I'll have to see what I can try to hook up to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users