Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The printer that isn't there

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Larryds1

Larryds1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:00 AM

The situation has been bugging me for quite some time, because of it I am unable to load additional hardware.

Each time I boot the computer up, as a boot up is completed, the found new hardware screen appears. It claims it has found a printer. I have no printer on this computer. I have deleted the printer that was there plus all its software. I've checking the control panel under printers and faxes and there is no printer listed there. I think somewhere possibly in the registry "which I know absolutely nothing about" there is a file that is telling this to happen. Has anybody ever had this problem before and if so how do you get rid of it.

The computer I'm using was built for me running Microsoft XP professional. It is a 900 MHz ADM with 700 plus RAM. Other than this problem the computer runs well but as I said before I am unable to add new hardware. In this case a net card.

Thanks for any help you may be give me in this matter.

Larryds1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

Hello Larryds1 and welcome to BC.

This sounds like a failed uninstall of the printer and software you mention. The next time the Add New Hardware Wizard comes up, go through it as if there really was a new printer and that installation will fail and you should be done with that, allowing you to install the Network card.

One thing to be careful of. After the "new printer" is installed, go to Control Panel>Printers and let us know if a "new Printer" showed up.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Larryds1

Larryds1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:03 PM

Success, a variation on the theme that you gave me. What I did was to take a printer and attach it to the computer. Turned on and when the wizard came up I attempted to install it. It still would not accept the desk although the diss was correct for the printer. I then went to the advanced button on the wizard and was shifted to a place where I could attempt to all install from. For some reason or other it did not want to install from D.. Which is the CD-ROM drive on my computer.

I then forced it to take the driver from the computer, this allowed me to go onto the next screen. I got a warning that the program probably would not work. I rebooted the computer to wizard came up again I already had the disk in the drive and installed it. I'm sure I don't know why you did it but he did it, possibly because of the error on your installation prior to.

After that I simply went to printers and faxes and deleted the printer from there. However before I did this I disconnected the printer from the computer. The deletion worked, the printer's gone the wizard no longer comes up. Thanks goes to you in, you put me on the right track. Thanks once again.

LarryDS 1

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for posting back and letting us know what worked Larryds1. Sometimes it ain't pretty but it gets you where you want to go. :thumbsup: Hopefully someone will find your experience helpful in the future.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users