Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

page cannot be displayed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sue2

sue2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

I was able to remove the anti virus soft malware by using the guide at this site, and I am grateful. However, Now when I reboot and everything seems normal, I cannot connect to internet. I know my connections are there, but all I get is this page cannot be displayed. I went back to safemode with networking and checked everything out, but all seems ok.

I checked and double checked my internet connections and they are the same as before I used the Malwarebytes Anti Malware program.

I am sure it is something simple, but I am not doing something. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

If...you followed the directions on the guide, you should have connectivity.

I suspect that you have multiple malware items which affected your system, not just one.

I would run a full scan with updated, installed AV program and disable any IE add-ons that are currently enabled.

Malwarebytes is not an AV program, IMO it should be used in conjunction with a reliable AV program, not in lieu of such.

Louis

#3 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

Sue,

If you removed spyware via Malwarebytes, I certainly agree with hamluis that you should run a scan with a valid up to date antivirus program.

My other suggestion just to see if it is an easy fix, click Start => Control Panel => Internet Options.
If you are running XP you may need to click Start => Settings => Control Panel
Alternatively, you can open Internet Explorer and click Tools => Internet Options

Once you have Internet Options open click the "Connections" tab, then the "LAN settings" button.
Make sure there is not a check mark under the "Proxy server" options.
If there is a check mark, un check all the boxes and click "OK" to exit.

Close out of IE and try to access a web page again.

#4 sue2

sue2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

I will do what both of you suggested. I was thinking the same thing. thanks so much, I love this site!!

Sue

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

Let us know if any of it resolves your situation :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 sue2

sue2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

I have AVG free on my pc, so will run the scan as soon as I can. What is your opinion of the AVG program?

#7 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

Any computer I work on that doesn't have a valid AV installed, I will put the Free AVG 9.0 on. However, I warn them that it is a free program and you get what you pay for.

Personally, I would look at purchasing an AV like NOD32. I have had a lot of luck with it and it is light on the system. Unlike Norton or McAfee that will cause a 20% system performance drop upon installation...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

I find that any number of free AV programs do the job...if the user updates and uses them appropriately.

My bias is currently against AVG as a personal choice. I formerly used it for about 2-3 years, until (I believe) version 8 or 8.5. I've been using Avira Free ever since.

Louis

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

Certain malware can corrupt installed anti-virus tools so I would reinstall it then scan it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users