Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstall xp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mrl636

mrl636

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hello,

I have a laptop that is verrrrry slow. I want to format the hard drive and start over. I have the product key for Windows XP, which is on the laptop now, but I don't have the disk. I have the Windows Disk with the same version that came with my desk top. Can I use it to install the Windows XP on the laptop?

Mike :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

Do you have a valid license...that matches the CD?

Louis

#3 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

If both of the disks are the same (OEM, or Retail) then you should be fine. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

Your laptop...may have a hidden partition/recovery partition...which might complicate using another disk.

The hidden/recovery partition, if such exists, is there to facilitate recovery/restore of the system...following the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the laptop.

You "should" be able to use a Microsoft CD to install, along with your key assigned to your laptop manufacturer...I do this with eMachines and Compaq systems that come into my hands.

Louis

#5 mrl636

mrl636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hello hamluis, matt3,

Yes, the laptop has a partition (not hidden). I plan to format the hard drive so I can start over. And yea, both CD's are OEM's. I used CrucialScan which told me that I only have 2 - 256 MB memory and I can increase to 2 - 512 MB. I'm hoping that by doing this and cleaning the hard drive, When I install microsoft office 2007 student version, it will run fast enough to keep me from falling asleep while using it! I'll have time this weekend and will report back how it went.
Thanks for the help

Mike :flowers: :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

If your laptop has a recovery parition then you might not need the reinstall CD what type of computer is it and does it have a revoery partion or just a main partion. Hamluis thanks for covering the recovery part forgot about that. Let me know how it goes if you do reinstall.

Edited by matt3, 09 March 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#8 mrl636

mrl636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:25 AM

I re-installed the OS with out ANY problems. I first went into the Bios and changed how the CPU booted up from C drive to the DVD drive. When I booted up using the CD, I was given an option to format the drives first or just fix the OS. I chose to format and now have laptop with just Microsoft XP and a virus program. Oh I went to the Norton site to make sure I wouldn't have to buy a new program since my version wasn't a year old yet. All I needed was the serial number.

Thanks again for the help

Mike :thumbsup: :flowers:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

Nice work by you...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

nice job. :flowers:
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users