Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont boot corrupt MFEHIDK.SYS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dazed&Confused87

Dazed&Confused87

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:35 AM

Im a newbie to the board.

I started having a problem with my dell m1330 laptop with windows vista all up to date. Whenever i turn of my laptop it wont boot it takes me to a grey screen with a white mouse and starts running startup repair and it fails and when click for more information it says that there is a corrupt driver mfehidk.sys. If i dont click for more information the cumputer just shuts down. I did try to do a system restore and two failed and one went through to go back five days. But it didnt help anything. I dont know where to go from here. I have mcafee internet security 2010 installed. I had the same problem a week ago but i just restarted it and windows startup fixed the problem. I have done some googling and found its an issue with mcafee and maybe has to do with a backup assitant, but nothing says on how to repair the driver or remove it. I did do a virus scan and cleaned all my internet files and adware removal and defrag about two days ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

Hi Dazed&Confused87,

Welcome to Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal (VTSMR) forum. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (scanning or running other tools, updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might interfere with our fixes. Please let me know in your next reply if you agree with this.

Tell me if you have a Windows Vista installation DVD or if you can go to Safe Mode:

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 key:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.
  • Log to your usual account.

#3 Dazed&Confused87

Dazed&Confused87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:58 AM

I have the vista install cd but when i select safe mode it boots startup repair

Edited by Dazed&Confused87, 10 March 2010 - 01:59 AM.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:01 AM

Removed the post. We can't have two topics running at the same time.

Edited by farbar, 10 March 2010 - 12:16 PM.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

You seem to have opened two topics.

I close this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users