Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horrible customer service

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hi,
I am in the market for a new computer. I've looked at HP, Dell and Gateway. While the machines all have many different features to choose from, one thing I have read in customer reviews is that all these companies have horrible customer service. What are your thoughts on this?

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

<<I have read in customer reviews is that all these companies have horrible customer service.>>

My thoughts...the Internet allows anyone to express anything at any time...whether it's based on fact or not. I'd be very careful about internalizing "customer reviews" of anything, unless I was pretty sure that the "customer" knew a lot more about computing than I do.

My personal opinion is that...the biggest enemy of the average computer user...resides in the mirror.

The companies you have listed...are all billion-dollar corporations, offering varied services and commodities to customers/clients. That being the case, I would guess that customer service for at least one of them...must be satisfactory to large numbers of persons/organizations. Most of those satisfied customers...never sound off on the Internet about the levels of satisfaction they feel that they receive...so you need to keep that in mind when paying attention to online comments about anything.

Last comment...no one HAS to buy a system from any of the group you listed. The easy alternative is to do some background work and assemble one yourself, with the stipulation that you realize you must provide your own "system support" when things go wrong.

Louis

#3 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for your input. Your point is well taken.

rlight

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

I think Louis makes a good point. I've heard in the past that a customer with a good experience will tell a couple of friends about it but a customer with a bad experience will tell EVERYBODY about it!

Customer Service is a tough job because there are so many variables. First off, there's the experience level of the CSR. Some are new with little experience who rely mainly on the script that has been provided for them. Usually when a CSR gains enough experience to be good, they are "promoted" to 2nd tier where they don't usually talk directly to customers. There's also the experience level of the customer who may have trouble describing their issue or knowing exactly what the issue is. In addition how many machines stay "stock" for very long? People buy a computer then immediately start installing software and peripherals. Where does the mfr's responsibility begin and end?
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users