Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why would the sound just STOP working?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 twins1729

twins1729

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Like, I'm on my computer, walk away, and come back to no sound. Literally.

I keep getting suggestions to download my laptop manufacturers auto drivers, but that's the closest thing that sounds like it may work.

I'm still looking into it, but the whole thing is so confusing...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snuupy

Snuupy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

How bout system restore?

Drivers?

Roll back the audio driver?

update audio driver?

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

Any errors in Device Manager?
Did you go to your computer manufacturer website to get new drivers?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

Speakers still plugged in?

Volume controls all enabled and turned up in sound manager?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 twins1729

twins1729
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:46 AM

Basically YES to everything.

I did a system restore to last Monday and this happened Thursday or Friday. Should I try sooner?

Also, I've tried downloading some audio drives. Not sure if it's done correctly, but I tried.

You guys seem to give me the best answers. (I'm trying several places and people are so stupid. LOL)

Someone once suggested a virus and I didn't think that was it. But in the process I checked out my System Volume information folder and it's empty... Is it supposed to be?

Don't know if something happened to my speakers (laptop), but if they got disconnected would my headphones not work too?

I'm so frusrated. Thanks for the help so far. :thumbsup:

#6 twins1729

twins1729
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

I just wanna say thanks for everyone who helped.

Finally someone on Yahoo Answers gave me a good answer. Said I probably busted my headphone jack. Upon research I found that it can ruin the speakers, too

Then I called Staples and they said there's probably no point in trying to repair it, but they said USB headphones would work. I'm fine with that. I listen to headphones 90% of the time anyway. Sorry speakers.

So if anyone else finds this problem, this is it. :thumbsup:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

I just wanna say thanks for everyone who helped.

Finally someone on Yahoo Answers gave me a good answer. Said I probably busted my headphone jack. Upon research I found that it can ruin the speakers, too

Then I called Staples and they said there's probably no point in trying to repair it, but they said USB headphones would work. I'm fine with that. I listen to headphones 90% of the time anyway. Sorry speakers.

So if anyone else finds this problem, this is it. :thumbsup:

Glad things are back to normal, sorry we did not resolve your issue quicker, but I was along the right idea when I asked "speakers plugged in?"

I didn't know you were using headphones other-wise I would have asked that question differently.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

Good news :thumbsup:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users