Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

agent.exe hogs cpu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 useless eater

useless eater

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

My computer becomes very slow & unresponsive when agent.exe is running. It runs every ten minutes or so regardless of which browser I'm using & hogs cpu. From what I can gather it's Installshield Updater, but I can't find a fix for it. I don't want to uninstall it if that's what it is, but need help figuring out how to set it to search for updates a lot less often. I'm running Windows XP Home on an HP 734n.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

Sometime viruses disguise themselves as agent.exe. Have you run any scans recently?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 useless eater

useless eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

I have AVG free version & have run updates & scans several times since noticing the problem. Also have run Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner a few times, both with no results. It seems to be a legitimate part of Installshield update manager, which will not allow me to change settings. It's listed on control panel as Software Updates, but when I open it & go to settings there's no way to change them.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

Could you try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Installshield software to see if that helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 useless eater

useless eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

I closed ISUSPM.exe from task manager & so far that seems to have stopped agent.exe from running every 10 minutes. I noticed that they were both part of Installshield. If it reoccurs I'll try the uninstall/reinstall you suggested. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users