Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaseylee

jaseylee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hi,

I am out of ideas so I will present my situation to you.

My sister has an Emachines T 6538 pc which had Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 preinstalled. They have no recovery disks. And of course, something happened and the OS would not load at all, blue screen, and freezing up in Safe Mode.

So, my nephew in trying to repair the OS used a Windows Vista Experience disk from another computer which they though had 'fixed' it but it seems it was only a 30 day free trial. Now they have limited functionality of the PC as it keeps requesting key code.

Now I enter the picture. I contacted Emachines to get help with the situation and a nice guy directed me to the F11 system restore-but I can't get that to work, I think because of the Vista now loaded on it. So I went back to them and requested a recovery CD but was told the system was too old (built in 2004 but they bought it in 07, I think) and it was out of warranty and they couldn't sell me one (though the first tech said I could get one for about $20 but didn't provide the link-just the sys restore link).

What can I do now? We really can't afford to purchase a new OS at this time, I would just like to get the one they OWN back on their computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

Possible Sources

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users