Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Open Two at the Same Time?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Hello,

My family has multiple computers, with Windows XP running on the desktops and Windows Vista & 7 running on the laptops. (We are in process of switching all the laptops to Windows 7.)

I am very familiar with using Windows XP, but am still learning the basics of Windows Vista and Windows 7. However, since I'm responsible for maintaining all these computers, I would especially like to learn more about Windows 7.

In Windows XP, I usually open two separate instances of Windows Explorer when copying or transferring from one place to another, as it is very easy to simply do a copy & paste function that way.

I've tried doing the same thing in Windows 7, but haven't figured out how to open more than s single My Computer type window at the same time.

Is this even possible in Windows 7?

If so, could you please describe to me (in simple, baby steps) how to do this/what to click on, etc.?

Thanks.

Edited by Torvald, 08 March 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

It is possible in Windows Vista, and I assume it is possible in Windows 7. I wouldn't even begin to wonder why MS would disable that very handy feature. I am usually doing the same thing as you.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

Yes, you most certainly can. There are multiple ways:

If you have a window open already, the "Ctrl + N" keyboard combination will duplicate the current window (open another just like it on top).

If you navigate somewhere in My Computer (say C: drive for example), you can open up My Computer again just by double-clicking the desktop icon or single-clicking the Start Menu's My Computer. The point is: if you open My Computer, then click My Computer again, there is already a window open like that, so the system doesn't make a new one. But if you navigate somewhere other than what was originally opened, it will let you open another instance of My Computer.

Another keyboard combination that works is "Windows Logo Key + E". This works whether you already have a window open or not.

Another alternative is if you right-click the Explorer taskbar item (if you already have a window open, or just keep it pinned), then click "Windows Explorer", you will get your Libraries, I think.

I think there are more, but that's all I can think of for now. I'm sure you've found one by now that you like. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

I will grab one of my kid's laptops and give your suggestions a try.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users