Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer weirdness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bridge Bart

Bridge Bart

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hi folks,

Just found out about this marvelous forum, first post here.
Ever since I bought this machine, 2 years ago, with XP Home installed (legit copy) on it by the dealer Explorer likes to do things its own way. I tell it I want to see file details, not them icons.

Here's the steps I take:

1) stretch Explorer's window to the top & bottom of the screen
2) view > details
3) tools > folder options > view > apply to all folders (making sure the "remember each folder's view settings" is checked)

After a while, could be minutes or hours, the next time I fire up Explorer it's back to, usually 'tiles' or sometimes 'icons.'
I've learned to live with it but it would be really cool if anyone has a fix. No problem on my wife's machine, just this one.

I alternate between 3 different virus checkers, 2 registry fixers and a couple of spy/malware detectors - about 2~3 times a week. All of them always claim I'm clean.

The durn thing just hates me or something.

I'd love to have it listen to me and I'm looking forward to your wisdom,

Bart.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

Its highly recommended to only use one virus program backed by a malware removal tool. Bleeping Computer doesn't recommend using Registry Fixers as they could only make your issue worse.

#3 Bridge Bart

Bridge Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the reply CryptoDan. This problem however, happened the first day I took it home from the store already, before I had installed any software at all...

Things I've tried: switch of ZoneAlarm, AVG (the only virus checker running), MS automatic updates and whatever else tries to automatically updates. None of which made any difference.

Cheers,

Bart.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

One of your registry cleaners probably messed up the part of the registry that deals with that sort of thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users