Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A new Error Message. NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 erachinskas

erachinskas

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

I am getting a error message and cant boot up my desktop. I reinstalled win xp prof and that fixed it. Now Im right back again. I must have bigger issues. Can someone HELP.

error message at boot:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware referance manuals for additional information.

Now I can tell you that all the USB plugs in the Computer were removed so a NEW CPU Fan could be installed. I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY WERE PUT BACK IN THE SAME PLACES ???? You can thank me 19 year old son for that. He said he knew where they went. I NEED HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

Have you ran any hard drive diagnostic tools? What is the brand of hard drive do you have? When did this issue become apparent? Any signs this was going to happen like system instability or blue screens?

#3 erachinskas

erachinskas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

Cant log onto windows at all. Only issue I have had was my Mouse driver. Used a differant mouse and no problems with that one so just used that mouse. What diagnostic tools should I try and run?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

So windows makes it to the Login Screen?

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

You may want to think about testing your hard drive with the manufacturer's testing utility. A list of manufacturer's testing utilities can be found here.

Each manufacturer has their testing utility. You can use it to test your hard drive and be sure it is in good working order. You may need to open your computer and verify the manufacturer of the hard drive.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 erachinskas

erachinskas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

Will try that. Just hope I dont need windows to run it. I CANT DO ANYTHING..........

#7 erachinskas

erachinskas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

So windows makes it to the Login Screen?

Nope starts to load and I see the screen of the masters and dvd drives then POOF nothing but the above. Hit any key and it reboots.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

So the hard drive is still being detected. That is a good thing. If i were you I would be prepared to get ready to back up your data on the drive and transfer it to another hard drive or media. Just to be on the safe side while the drive is still being detected.

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

Is there a brand and model on the computer?

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

If there are any beeps when you power up, try to describe them... one short, one long, three shorts, one short <pause> one long, etc. Generally, one short beep is good. Anything else is likely a hardware problem.

That does not sound like a Windows XP message - it sound like a BIOS kind of message.

Usually there will be some other messages about the BIOS version and manufacturer which may be helpful to look up the error message.

I am not sure what you mean here:

Now I can tell you that all the USB plugs in the Computer were removed so a NEW CPU Fan could be installed. I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY WERE PUT BACK IN THE SAME PLACES ????

All the USB plugs were remove? Do you mean every device that was plugged in was unplugged and may not be plugged back into the original holes?

Start with the most simple stuff. Unplug everything except the power cord and monitor.

If you have a USB drive or printer, unplug all that stuff too - you don't need it to boot.

Fire it up with just the monitor. See what happens. Pay attention to beep codes! They are telling you something is right or something is wrong.

The next thing you "need" is a keyboard. Plug in the keyboard, power up again, see what happens.

If no go, move the KB to another plug, cycle power and try again (only 4 possible plug in places, right :thumbsup: )

When you get it to boot with monitor and KB, then figure out the mouse, and keep going until it doesn't work anymore or everything works.

Try to figure out the make and model. Desktop, laptop? If it was built from scratch and you don't know, say so to stop us from asking the question.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users