Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program/Application Connection Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Varwulf

Varwulf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hello all. I have myself a rather vexing issue going on with my operating system (XP x64 Edition SP2) that has me baffled, especially since it has survived an almost foolproof barrage of fixes.

Basically, I noticed very recently that one of my programs that requires an internet connection (P2P Program) is unable to connect to the internet, despite having worked fine for almost 2 years now. I blew it off at first, and when I went back again to try it I had the same problem. I ended up downloading another, similar program, and had that problem again. I noticed after this, that some of my games (and other applications) that require an internet connection to update and the like, also are now unable to connect to the internet to perform their functions. Even one of my malware scanners, which requires that it is up to date before being able to run, could not update itself (I manually updated it).

Not sure if this is relevant, but my clock was reset by itself to July 1st 2005, and after I manually reset it, it didn't change itself back (yet).

So in a nutshell, I did some research and found one other guy with a similar problem to my own, which he identified as a worm in his WINDOWS registry. He didn't specify how he removed it.

I've since run my anti-virus software (BitDefender), CCleaner, Ad-aware, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, and SUPERAntiSpyware and I've had no luck. Malwarebytes discovered some potentially false positives ignored by Ad-aware and my anti-virus, which I deleted anyway because they were not important files SUPERAntiSpyware did the same thing. A restart later and the problem persisted. HijackThis discovered a few minor things that does not appear to have fixed the issue.

I also recently noticed that Google Chrome (my secondary browser) no longer connects to any sites.

If anyone has another potential fix, I'd really appreciate it. This issue has me close to pulling out some hairs--I mean, it's not something that appears to be crippling my computer (everything else functions as it should), but being unable to update some of my games and applications is a huge issue. Being unable to play some of them is even worse (as an update is necessary before I can even sign in, etc).

Today is the start of the first week before spring break, so I'm being hammered with assignments to do and all of that fun stuff, so having to deal with this isn't helping. Any help would make my day. Thanks, guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Your real system clock...is in the BIOS, not onscreen. What you see onscreen merely copies from the real clock.

System time issues normally indicate a failing CMOS battery, which needs to be replaced. Cost of the typical CR2032 batery is less than $5 in the U.S., available anywhere selling watch/electronics/other batteries.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 Varwulf

Varwulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:33 PM

That is certainly a possibility, though giving the time that it occurred (while all this other fun stuff is happening), I'd bet it is related to whatever worm/malware is currently disrupting my programs' ability to connect to the internet.

I will certainly look into it though, thanks for your post.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

If you have a malware problem...I suggest that you post at the appropriate BC malware forum.

Louis

#5 Varwulf

Varwulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

Well, the malware theory is just based on a thread I read on another board from someone having similar problems. I've read other threads that are not malware problems but have similar symptoms to my own. Basically, I have no idea where to go from here...

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

What virus program, firewall, and other security tools do you have installed?

#7 Varwulf

Varwulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

Just BitDefender GameSafe, Ad-aware, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, and SUPERAntiSpyware. I only installed the former four after this problem was noticed.

Edit: Well, I just completely wiped my firewall and anti-virus out and the problem is fixed. I guess BitDefender released a bad update and I didn't notice it, or my update ended up getting corrupted somehow.

Edited by Varwulf, 08 March 2010 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users