Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want new modem but will it affect the ISP?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Student01

Student01

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:16 AM

Okay folks. Kinda new as you can see by my number of post xD.

I believe this topic is under Networking, so I'll scurry on of my enquiry.

Okay so I have a very old modem (believed to be 2-3 years old) that my ISP provided me:

SpeedStream 4200-Series

After that, we then bought a wireless router (believed to be 2 years old) for several computers in our house:

Netgear WGR614 (I think it's the first version)

Now, I'm considering of buying one of the 2 modem/routers:

Netgear DGN3500 Rangemax Wireless Gigabit Modem/Router

Netgear DGND3300 Wireless N Dual Band Modem/Router

Now, my questions: I believed that this would be a simple Plug and Play operation. But I am not really confident about it. All I've seen so far, a guy from the ISP came over to our house and installed it for us. That time we didn't know how networking works.

If I bought a new modem or modem/router, does that mean, I will have a new IP address for my modem? Will that IP Address be provided in the Manual? What will happen to my ISP? Will I still keep my ISP? All I heard from one of the retails guy when I was planning to buy a new modem was, "As long as you have the username and password for modem...." Can anyone prove this? I do have a username and password for the modem. The ISP people provided it to us.

ALSO, in my configuration manager for my modem setting, I noticed it has 3 operation mode.
my ISP Bridge
NAPT
and Full Bridge

What are they?

Kind Regards,

Student01

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

If I bought a new modem or modem/router, does that mean, I will have a new IP address for my modem? If you mean the IP address that your modem gets from your ISP, maybe because unless you pay for a static IP it could always change. If you mean the IP address your router gives your PCs, I dunno. I don't think netgear has changed their IP address in their equipment. Either way it'll still be 192.168.x.x.

Will that IP Address be provided in the Manual? No

What will happen to my ISP? Will I still keep my ISP? Yes, they are the ones providing you with a connection to the net.

All I heard from one of the retails guy when I was planning to buy a new modem was, "As long as you have the username and password for modem...." Can anyone prove this? You answered your own question ---> I do have a username and password for the modem. The ISP people provided it to us

I am assuming you are doing this because 1) either the modem or router are failing 2) your ISP won't upgrade you to a better modem. If both of these are true all you have to do is threaten to cancel and go with someone else. The person you talk to can't cancel your service so they have to xfer you to someone else. Normally the person you get next is part of what is called "the save team" these people can do almost anything to keep you as a customer. Just be nice but firm and you'll get a new modem. I used to work for a DSL ISP in the southeast, trust me they want to keep your business.

If I am wrong and you just want to get a new all in one, you'll still want to call your ISP and make sure that whatever you decide to buy will work with their service. Little point spending money on something that won't work.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 08 March 2010 - 09:12 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Alos every modem has a MAC address assigned to it. The modem will not work with them enteringthe MAC address in their system so you will need to make the call to have it entered.

my ISP Bridge= passes along DHCP applied address to the next device which is usually your modem
NAPT= I guessing this should be NAT? Allows you to use a switch with the modem and get DHCP addresses for your local LAN
and Full Bridge= Passes everything along to the next connected device, used to extend the range of cabling.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Student01

Student01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:48 AM

Cheers guys! :thumbsup:

If I bought a new modem or modem/router, does that mean, I will have a new IP address for my modem? If you mean the IP address that your modem gets from your ISP, maybe because unless you pay for a static IP it could always change. If you mean the IP address your router gives your PCs, I dunno. I don't think netgear has changed their IP address in their equipment. Either way it'll still be 192.168.x.x.

Basically the page where I go to setup like the Port Forwarding page or Firewall, etc...I heard from my friend that if I changed to a new modem, my IP Address to access the modem won't change. I'm not too sure but I'll ask the ISP guys about it.

So which 1 of the 2 modem/router I should get if I want a new one?

They both look good.

Student01

Posted Image

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Because you are going Netgear to Netgear the IP likely won't change.

I like the 3300 because it has dual band ( 2.4 and 5 Ghz ), what I don't see is backward compatibility with the G/B protocols. It may do it and just not list it.

But either will do ya as long as your ISP says so =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Student01

Student01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:11 AM

kk i've bought the DGN2000 Netgear.

BECAUSE! I asked the retailer guy and he said, if ur not gonna use the Gigabit, what's the point on having it? If it's just internet you're after, go for DGN2000.

The 3300 and 3500 netgears are awesome but he says it'll heat up alot and plus, it's expensive. lol

KK, so now i got the DGN2000, i'm using it now as i'm typing up this ^^

Only problem is, my old laptop, (PCG-GRT40ZP Sony) Doesn't work on wireless. and my VGN-C15GP/W does work.

Anyone explain?

Cheers

Student01

Posted Image

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

What happens when you try to connect?

#8 Student01

Student01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

it pops up a wireless network connection error:

Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again.

So like, it will only work if I go to my IP Address: 192.168.x.x
and then go to the wireless settings
and then change security options to WEP or Disable.
It won't work on WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key).

But if i change the setting to WEP, then my VAIO FW45GJ can't connect to the wireless but my PCG-GRT40ZP will work.

Student01

Edited by Student01, 11 March 2010 - 08:43 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Student01

Student01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

All fixed.

I just ran a diagnos test. Had to do some internet security setup in the web bowser and restart comp.

ALl working well.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users