Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Vista 2010 "update", fun program blockages and retarded exe. files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bombdoll

Bombdoll

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:45 AM

Well, I got a false "virus scan" pop-up two days ago. It told me I had 27 unresolved infections and attempted to prompt me to buy its program. I denied, since I have AVG. Which, after a full system scan, turned up nothing. Not even the malware producing the false popup. Unfortunately it was 3 in the morning and I had work the next day, so I left it for when I had more time to stress over lame problems.

Today, upon startup this false scan sings the same song, but is only telling me that there is 1 infection, and it was tracked to Mozilla Firefox as a keylogger. Understandibly, I'm a little bit pissed. I tried to OPEN mozilla firefox; it's blocked. I find in Windows Task Manager that there are two copies of some unknown program called av.exe running. I close them, and the popup buggers off. But my mozilla is still blocked. I originally got a message that went along the lines of "not having the right permissions to access the program or file". I'd post the whole message if I could, but it fell off the face of the planet and has been replaced with the ultimate derp exe. file issue, right up there with "windows has deleted the system.32 folder." Now, I just get a prompt when accessing Mozilla, Windows Security Center, Crazy Browser, AVG, and other rather important programs...
And it is asking me with which program to open this file.

... I would post a screen-cap, but I can't even open Paint.exe, because I get the same retarded exe. prompt for it as well. Needless to say, it's rather crippling at this point.

The WEIRD thing is that, 2 years ago when I got my crappy dell desktop computer, I completely removed Internet Explorer. It was tricky, and I can't remember how, but it was gone for good. Today, in the aftermath of most of my programs being blocked or mentally incapable of figuring out that they are exe. files and open themselves.... Internet Explorer appeared. Shiney and working, alone, in this mess. Besides being VERY suspicious, it's rather concerning.

And before anyone suggests it, I can't seem to get system restore to work. I click on the "restore" button, and nothing happens. No new programs running, no new windows opening, no nothing. Not even a loading response.

If it means anything at all, my entire household's network has been having issues for the past week. Really slow, laggy internet connection, between a laptop, 3 PCs, an x-box360, wii, and PS3.
Also, I made a few modifications to Vista, as in ensuring that it never asked me when I wanted to open ANY FILE, and I increased my administrative permissions to access whatever system files I deemed necessary, but this was some time ago... about 1.5 years ago, if not longer.

I must apologize for the lack of useful information, but my computer has degenerated in the past hour of me trying to get anything to work, and any of the original messages refuse to rear their ugly heads. Should I spend 40 bucks on a bunch of thumbdrives and save any of the most important documents and personal files and wipe the entire system? I've repaired this dumbass computer from some pretty bad problems, but that was back before my programs contracted this sudden bout of retardation.

-------------------------------

Vista 32-bit Home Basic
Dell Inspiron 531S
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz
958 MB RAM

Edited by elise025, 08 March 2010 - 06:15 AM.
Moved from Vista forum to Am I Infected forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Treece55

Treece55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

I have this same problem right now. I can only get on the internet through Safari. I dont know what to download to clean it. I have McAfee but it did not find any problems. HELPPP :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users