Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Unknown

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PCnoob35

PCnoob35

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:10 AM

I was trying to reformat my HD to reinstall windows but when i entered the menu where i chose which partition to install windows on, the partition i was hoping to install windows on was labeled as "unknown" and when i try to format it, it gives me the error "Setup cannot access this disk" somewhere along those lines. Is there any fix to this? Would really appreciate comments good or bad. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

I was trying to reformat my HD to reinstall windows but when i entered the menu where i chose which partition to install windows on, the partition i was hoping to install windows on was labeled as "unknown" and when i try to format it, it gives me the error "Setup cannot access this disk" somewhere along those lines. Is there any fix to this? Would really appreciate comments good or bad. Thanks

Are there other partitions on this drive which already have an operating system or data installed?

If so, can you give us a little more details as to what the setup of the drive is and to which partitiion you are attempting to install windows to?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

Posting a screenshot from Disk Management would save some time, along with specific partition letters used in any explanation.

Louis

#4 PCnoob35

PCnoob35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

here it is Posted Image

The "Format (C:)" is the partition i want to reinstall windows on. In the Win Setup where you chose the partition to Delete/Install "Format (C:) is known as "(D:) Partition 1 (FORMAT)" while partition "(D:)" shows up as "(C:) Unknown". When I try to install windows on (Drive (:D) FORMAT) i get the message, "Drive (:C) (Which is the partition with windows on it, im assuming) is unformatted, damaged or formatted with a file system that is incompatible with Windows XP. Now when i pick the other Drive, Drive (C:) Unknown, I get the same message as the other.
Sorry if that was a little confusing???. and Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

First suggestion...when trying to install XP on a hard drive, temporarily disconnect all other hard drives. They add nothing to the effort and can interfere with the install.

Show a screen shot with just the drive that you want to install XP on...and the optical drive to be used for the install effort.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users