Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help buying LCD Monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

I want to put my keyboard on this desk. In order to do that, I need to get this huge CRT off my desk and get an LCD. I like CRT and have no problems with this monitor other than its too big (depth) and I really need the space because I hate keyboard trays.

I'm running at 1024x768 and I like that resolution. I can't imagine anything sharper than this. This monitor can go higher but it makes things smaller and I hate it. Plus this is the recommended resolution it says. This monitor is 17" btw.

I'm looking at 17" LCD monitors on ebay but the problem is they are all 1280 x 1024. The more the merrier, but not with me. I'd rather have 1024x768. I hear higher resolution will eat up some game performance (fps). Just how much it will slow down my games, I don't know and thats one of my questions.

Now I know I could lower the LCD monitors resolution down to 1024x768, but that wouldn't be its native resolution and I'm wondering just how bad that will distort the picture. I can't even check the stores anymore because all they have is widescreen these days.

If lowering the resolution will look ugly, and I'll end up using 1280 x 1024 anyway, then I think I might as well get a 19" monitor. Because if I end up using 1280 x 1024 with the 17", I will have the same size monitor as I do now, only with fewer fps in games. So as long as I'm losing fps, I'd rather have a bigger monitor or it'll just be wasteful.

I always thought a 22" widescreen would be nice, but that requires even more resolution. I'd so much rather enjoy games with full graphics and a smooth fps on a "small" screen (I'm used to 17") than have to turn down graphics on a bigger higher res screen.

19" widescreen seems the best of both worlds (lower res than 22"), but I think I'd lose an inch in vertical height. And looking at this screen, I feel I can't afford to lose any more vertical space.

Oh, and I have a racing wheel and seat that I roll up to the front of the desk. If I put an LCD at the back of the desk, it will be further away and harder to see (I've had that problem before). So maybe moving to 19" (square) will compensate for that.

Thoughts? If someone could post a comparison pic of their monitor in both resolutions that would be cool. I also am trying to get one that hase VGA and DVI because I want to see for myself what the big deal is. If I got one with VGA I'll never know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

I'm not a gamer, so somebody else will have to help you with those questions.

I can tell you I have always run my desktops at 1024x768 for the same reasons as you, if I set it at any higher resolution, things are so small I have to literally put my nose 4" from the screen to read anything. I have gone through several desktops in combination with different monitors, 19" square, 21" square, and now 24" widescreen and have never had any problems with distortion at 1024x768. I have run into that problem on one of my Toshiba laptops, I have to run it at native resolution.

My current desktop is a self-build with an NVIDIA 8800 GTS video card, and I did have to play with the NVIDIA control panel settings to get the picture like I wanted. Current monitor is a Samsung 245BW.

I would definitely recommend a DVI connection, you won't regret it. Hope this helps somewhat.

#3 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

My 19' Gateway monitor's native resolution is 1440 by 900 and i like it that way when i out it to 1024x768 i get a bad picture but on my 19' Dell the resoultion is 1024x768 and it looks great. So i guess it depends on the monitor and the Operating System on it because the Gateway has vista and the Dell XP. I like games on my Vista better but then again in the game settings you can set the resolution.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

For a native resolution of 1024 X 768, you'll need a 15" LCD Display.

Or

Get a 17" LCD Display with a native resolution of 1280 x 1024, tweak the settings till you get the desired results. This will vary across different models.

Tweaks:

The Control Panel->Display properties allows you to:
- increase the Windows font size from 'Normal' to 'Large fonts' and
- increase the DPI(dots per inch) setting from 96 to 120.
If you're satisfied after applying these changes, then it's ok.

1. Check the sharpness setting of your LCD monitor panel! For example, in my opinion, text looks much clearer on my BenQ FP71G+ LCD monitor after I've changed the sharpness setting value to 1 instead of 3(preset value by the manufacturer)

2. In Control Panel->Display->Appearance->Effects, set the "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" checkbox and then select the ClearType value of the combo box.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 09 March 2010 - 08:08 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

Well, mate I have a 22" running with 1680 x 1050, its way sharper than 1024 x768. you will have more space, as for myself when im designing or programming, you have a lot of space which is a good thing for this type of work.

and for the games, yes it will decrease your FPS. but then again, sharper graphics and 22" for gaming is way better than 17"

The greater the screen the more fun youll have on gaming.

now thats just my opinion.

#6 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

Well I did it. I went and got (ordered) a used 19' Dell 1907FPVt. It came today. I wanted a SQUARE (5:4) monitor. I did a lot of research and I believe that square monitors are better (at least for me). A widescreen might make me feel squished and wishing there was more to the top and bottom of the page. I play games, but I also do other things and, like other people have said, websites scroll top to bottom and widescreens have so much wasted horizontal space with websites.

Its a shame they don't really make many of these "classic" monitors anymore. Perhaps they'll make a comeback...like cassettes and 8-tracks. what? lol

I hate buying USED, but I had to. This monitor had everything I wanted. Good refresh time, decent base, black color, thin bezel, reasonable price, and it has both VGA and DVI ports. Thats important because I really want to compare for myself to see whats the big deal with DVI. I just need to get a cable. So far the VGA looks just fine to me. Most monitors I saw on ebay only had VGA.

When I first turned on the monitor, it was 1024x768. I thought that was fine. Then I changed it to its native 1280 x 1024 and thought everything was too small. Then I changed it back. Then I changed it back again to 1280 x 1024 and after just minutes of use, I have already gotten used to it. Now when I go back to 1024 x 768, it looks huge like 800 x 600 used to look to me. And 800 x 600 looks like...legos. lol. I don't know how else to describe it. 1024 x 768 is too big and a little blurry.

So 1280 x 1024 is here to stay. I welcome it.

As for games. I tested it with Rfactor. It did indeed take a performance hit. Quite a significant one. But I don't care. Playing on this 19" screen is SO MUCH better than on the 17", which was actually a 15" viewable area. 4 extra inches made a huge difference. 10x better! The performance hit is worth it. Worse comes to worse, I'll just buy a better video card.

I don't see this new resolution as sharper. I see it as something necessary to accommodate for the bigger screen.

The colors looked a little washed out like I thought they would be. I read that LCD's just can't do contrast (at least the color black) the same way as CRT's. I adjusted the monitor as far as it would go. Contrast 100% UP. Brightness 100% DOWN (I hate brite). Still no good. Then I adjusted the settings for my ATI video card. It let me make things even darker and the colors more saturated. Now I am pleased with the colors. I've never fiddled around with that on my CRT. I think these colors look even better than CRT now that I have adjusted them.

I think I made the right decision. I think a 19" square monitor is the sweet spot at least for me. This bigger monitor is better, but you don't want it to be too big. I have a friend who has a 28" widescreen monitor and IMO it sucks for regular website use. It is just a big screen of white space and it takes longer to have to move the mouse across the screen.

I've been a CRT user all my life. Here it is in 2010 and I'm just finally making the leap to LCD joining the rest of the world. In a few more months you guys will probably all have 3D hologram monitors. Oh well. I just answered pretty much all of my own questions. Maybe this will be of help to someone else, if there even is anyone else who doesn't have an LCD by now. :thumbsup:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:19 AM

Get a 24" Widescreen Dell Ultrasharp its great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users