Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chocobowing91

chocobowing91

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:46 PM

Hi everyone, i'm new to forums although i've had my computer for a long time, i need help with something, i am upgrading my computer to a new motherboard with agp instead of pci so i can play my half life 2 and counterstrike source games without a problem. I just want a new motherboard and i am keeping my old cpu and ddr RAM so i wont have to spend a bunch of money. however, the standard for my ddr is 266 mhz with 184 pins, the website i want to buy from doesnt have a motherboard with the right qualifications and a 266 mhz standard. i was wondering if that as long as it takes 184 pins if i could put my 266 standard into a 400 mhz standard slot. if so, then i can get a really good mobo for really cheap. i appreciate any help anyone can give me, thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

Provided the motherboard supports the RAM you have it will work with slower speed RAM. But if that is going to be enough for you to play Half Life 2 without a problem I don't know.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 chocobowing91

chocobowing91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

Thanks alot i'm also getting a new vid card so i'm good with that i just dont want to have to buy more ram also. :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:55 AM

What motherboard are you using?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 chocobowing91

chocobowing91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

i'm not entirely sure yet. i was actually planning to get an asus mobo but then i looked up something else. it appears that a good deal on a good agp 8x 4x vid card and mobo to fit that card will come around to 140$ on micro atx form factor. however, i just figured out that since alot of people r buying them, some good pci-e vid cards and mobo are pretty cheap like 50$ a piece on newegg (i love newegg!) bringing my total to about 100$. but the only motherboard that they have that meets my requirements comes in atx form only. i can buy a good atx case for around 40$ shipped and it will be just as much as if i went with the agp only i will have a higher level card. NOW a question about a card, woulld a Rosewill Gefocre 6200 ct by nvidia or a powercolor radeon x300se hypermemory by ati, both in 256 mb be better for playing high end games like hl2 or counterstrike source with good fps and graphics, or since they are pci-e 16x does it really matter. sorry for this being so long any help is appreciated. thx.

with some confusion but keeping sanity,
choco :thumbsup:

Edited by chocobowing91, 15 September 2005 - 08:53 PM.

#6 chocobowing91

chocobowing91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:08 PM

nevermind previous post did more research on those cards gotta start aqain sry.

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:52 AM

yea, AGP is slowly dying and PCIe will be the new standard, I believe the ATI will be releasing their last series of AGP cards while Nvidia is already moved on to pcie with their 7800 series.

but I only think thats what it is, I don't know that all for sure.

#8 chocobowing91

chocobowing91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

can anyone recommend any possible pci express video cards, either nvidia or radeon, that are on neweg under 100$ that would be good. thx. also is the gforce fx series better or the geforce 6000 series better for nvidia. if i get a radeon it will probably be an x series so any recommendations for that would be good too.

Edited by chocobowing91, 16 September 2005 - 02:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users