Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 3jaw

3jaw

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. Some of my usb ports have stopped working. I first noticed it yesterday when my computer wouldn't recognize my IPod. I tried turning off the computer, unplugging the power cord and removing the CMOS battery. This worked for about a day. Now the only usb accessories that work are my keyboard and my wireless mouse. I have a card reader and it won't recognize a memory card when it is plugged in. It also will not recognize a jump drive. I have tried unplugging these devices and plugging them back in with no luck. The Device Manager isn't showing a problem with any of these ports. The only error message I get is that the drive is not accessible and that "Access is denied". The computer is an Acer Veriton 6800 with XP Pro. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

If you have already tried the uninstall/reinstall routine with the USB controllers (not hubs/devices)...then I would suggest a PCI USB 2.0 card.

General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Louis

#3 3jaw

3jaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

Well, I tried the PCI to USB 2.0 card and no joy. My computer still won't recognize my IPod and I get the same error message. Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

Edited by 3jaw, 17 March 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

Does it work on another computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users