Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy New Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

Greetings,

I have an old Gateway computer that runs Windows 2000. I have been told that I need to upgrade. I do not need anything fancy. I just need a basic computer that is dependable. I looked on Costco's website, I noticed that there computer packages do not come with many additional programs. So, it looks like you buy a computer and then have to spend hundreds of dollars for the programs that you want. What brand is good, is it Dell, Hp or something else?

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

<<I just need a basic computer that is dependable.>>

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/de..._deals_anav_2~~

Windows 7 is about a $100 value, so you wind up with a decent system for about $300, which is warranteed by a business entity you can count on when things go wrong.

Louis

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

What additional software do you require? There are many OpenSource and freeware programs that are free to download and use. For instance, OpenOffice has most of the same functionality of MS Office and can even read/write Office compatible documents. There is free software available for download for most anything you need to do with your computer.

If you are a gamer, then you probably will need to buy the games you want. There are ways to obtain them illegally but I don't support that. Besides, many of the illegal copies of commercial software are really trojans and will wreak havoc on your computer once installed.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 alexagoin

alexagoin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

You should go with new HCL infiniti systems they are cheaper and upgradeable, and also support all kind of operating systems.

#5 flipsadler

flipsadler

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:05 AM

Do your research on what are the latest processors, and their relative pro's & cons.

Figure out "exactly" what it is you want to do with your computer.

Beware of spending that "little bit more" for a computer that comes with a "goodie bag" (that you don't actually need).

Bear in mind, that if you're going to be going online, you need a minimum level of security and protection. There is a software you can get for FREE that will do everything you need, so you don't have to spend a packet.

Also remember that if you're looking at getting a Windows based PC, the more recent they are the more RAM memory they require just to get up and working.

#6 Memphis T-shirt

Memphis T-shirt

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:58 AM

Greetings,

I have an old Gateway computer that runs Windows 2000. I have been told that I need to upgrade. I do not need anything fancy. I just need a basic computer that is dependable. I looked on Costco's website, I noticed that there computer packages do not come with many additional programs. So, it looks like you buy a computer and then have to spend hundreds of dollars for the programs that you want. What brand is good, is it Dell, Hp or something else?

rlight

The worst part of buying a new pooter is deciding what you *need* to do with it versus what you *want* to do with it.

Unfortunately, that "I have been told that I need to upgrade" covers too many areas. (BTW, who told you that? there could be a hidden agenda :blink: like your kid wanting to do Twitter/Facebook?)

What applications do you use on the old machine? What do you need to do now that the old machine won't do?

If what you say by "basic" is email, websurfing, minor gameplaying, and basic "office type" apps, your needs and wants are pretty reasonable. Staying with an old Gateway running Win 2K (2000) pretty much says it all ;}

Pretty much anything Costco offers will work for you. I'm a Costco member, but I'm not really keen on buying there on pooters. Do some looking around at other places. Don't jump at the first good deal.

"Brand name reliability" doesn't seem to be a steady target anymore. Some recent "consumer satisfaction surveys" have put even (gasp!) HP at the bottom of the heap. Gateway was always a decent bet in the past, but they were bought out by ACER (one of their suppliers, no less!)... I don't have a clue now.

Here's some of my personal recommendations/tips:

1) Don't buy because of the so-called "bundled software" that comes with it.

Your 'Cowputer' (Gateway) probably came with *full* M$ Office 97 or better, and more. That doesn't work anymore. Almost all software beyond the Operating System now is "trialware". Not only does that crap quit working when you least expect it, it's a pain to remove it. There's usually something "free'/opensource that's just as good (if not better). I'll post some good alternatives later if this thread continues.

2) Don't be swayed by well-meaning friends.

(Even me?) You'll get some of the most off-the-wall "advice" you can think of. Some will swear at/by some particular item like whether you should get an AMD or Intel processor, et al. (Me, I think you get more bang/buck with AMD processors and AMD/ATI chipset motherboards, but that's just an opinion)

3) Look over the whole package (assuming cpu"box", monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc) and decide if you can live with what comes out of the cardboard box.

Don't sweat the little things, mice/keyboards are easily/reasonably cheaply replaced with what you like. But, if you can't stand the monitor, don't buy that package. See if you can break it up and buy what looks good to you.

4) I'm assuming you are buying 'for the long haul'. "Future-proofing" never seems to work out the way you planned.

About all I can say is make sure you have:
a) plenty of RAM. Nothing less than 4 gigabytes.
:wacko: a monitor that's easy on your eyes. (may be worth buying totally separately, I particularly like ASUS stuff)
(I just learned something weird here! The "sunglasses smiley" showed up from entering "b' followed by ")" .. totally appropriate tho!)
c) plenty of hard-drive space (no less than 500GB)

Edited by Memphis T-shirt, 25 April 2010 - 06:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users