Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Replacement MoBo for Gateway GT5034

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheMexican

TheMexican

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

I have a family member who's computer had the notorious FoxConn motherboard that goes out in Gateway PC's. I'm wanting to just replace the motherboard but the problem is its an older model. I do not want another stock MoBo. I want a different one that will fit the case.

The motherboard is approximately 10in both ways. I believe the tower is a Mid-Tower.
Needs to have the following:
= or > 2 regular PCI slots
2 IDE ports
4 seven-pin ports (2 for the front USB, 1 for Front Sound, and 1 for Media Bay)
Needs 4 DDR slots, but if not possible 2-port+ DDR2 is acceptable.
AM2 slot for AMD Athlon 64 dual-core processor
SATA ports are optional.

For reference, here is the original specs for the PC:
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5880/5880sp3.shtml

Please help ASAP. I need to find one for under $200 preferrably, and if I need to get one with DDR2, please consider $30 into that price for the RAM.

Thanks!

Edited by TheMexican, 07 March 2010 - 08:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Have A Look, AM2 Socket Boards at Newegg

Louis

#3 TheMexican

TheMexican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

Thanks, but I've already looked at everything newegg and tigerdirect had to offer. I think the problem here is the model is a BTX type motherboard. (square, and reversed mount) Meaning the motherboard mounts to the wrong side of the case and everything on it is reversed. All of the market models now are ITX, ATX, and mini ATX.

If anyone still has an answer, I'm happy to hear it but I'm thinking I'll have to tell them its a lost cause. The power supply was the cause of the failure by the way. If anyone here has a gateway computer with a Bestec power supply, I'd suggest you replace it ASAP.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

I don't know of many manufacturers who make BTX since that standard is rarely used, especially in DIY computers. Your case may be able to take an ATX motherboard, but if your Gateway PC is using a special chassis, backwards compatibility may not be there since the company figures only their components are to be used. Also, note that you may need to repurchase Windows since the version installed on your PC is probably OEM. Under the EULA, a PC is defined by its motherboard. OEM versions are tied to the exact motherboard you have, if you replace the motherboard, you will need another copy of Windows. However, if a motherboard needs to be replaced due to failure, you can replace it with an exact duplicate and remain within the license. If an identical motherboard cannot be found, Microsoft, I think, allows for alternatives.

3939.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

Well...BTX boards used...doesn't mean that they are the only boards that can go in that case. Some BTX cases also accommodate ATX boards.

Perhaps you need to focus on the case itself.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users