Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hey guys, first time posting. Hopefully, you guys can answer some questions I have. For those of you who don't need the back story, skip to the bold header.

So, I aired out my apartment the other day while i was out, and I left the computer running like I usually do. The only thing is the wind chill was about 30 degrees F for most of day and probably a little colder by the time I got home at night. Needless to say it was like an ice box in my apartment when I got home.

Dumb, I know, in hindsight I should have known better. You always hear about the damage extreme heat can do to a computer but never really about the other extreme.

I was home for maybe an hour, when I tried watching a DVD I burned the day before to check it. And while it was playing I heard some beeping and assumed it was either the DVD drive or a bad burn and restarted my computer. Which it did, and I tried to watch the DVD and heard the beeping again.

At this point, I forget if I tried to restart or shut it down and whether it got hung up trying to shutdown or restarting but I had to do a hard reset.

After hard resetting, I gave it a minute and powered it back on. When I did, I got a message saying that the computer couldn't find my SATA-1 drive which I ignored. It was a long day and I didn't even know what I looking at. After telling me it couldn't find the drive a couple of times it finally restarted.

I checked my drives and noticed that my storage drive wasn't there to access. I assumed that maybe my OS disconnected the drive in the device manager and decided I would check on it in the morning. When I did, the computer couldn't see the drive at all and I realized it was something more serious.

I was hoping that it was just the SATA cable and not the drive itself but that's not the case. I switched the cables to the two drives and same thing. And I don't think it's the power supply either. The rest of my computer is running fine and the likelihood that just the lines powering that drive went bad is next to nothing.

TL;DR. I'm an idiot and I broke my hard drive.

I think it's either an electrical or mechanical failure since I didn't have any issues with the drive prior to this. So, I was wondering whether or not it's possible to actually salvage the data by moving the platters to an identical drive.

1) Is this actually possible?

2) Has anybody attempted to do something like this? By anybody, I mean a forum member or someone who tried and posted their attempt on the internet.

3) What was the outcome?

If it's not possible to move the platters, then would it be possible to change the electronics board from an identical drive.

Same three questions as above.

Last question, is there a way for me track down an identical drive as the one I have. Is there a specific site or sites I can look at?

Thanks in advance,
johnny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

Not really possible to do a platter swap without specialized clean rooms and the ability to precisely re-align the platters after the swap.

That being said, the problem likely is not internal to the drive. You do have the right idea about swapping the PCB on the drive as this is likely where the problem is. Get a number from the PCB, and google it. There are companies that keep boards in stock for just this problem.

http://www.hdd-parts.com/index.html and of course EBay. Once you google the board number, you will get more options. Be aware that the board's firmware revisions will likely need to match as well as the PCB numbers.

Edited by dpunisher, 07 March 2010 - 09:34 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for the info and quick response.

I figured the platter swap was probably a stretch.

It's good to know that the board shorting is a common enough issue that getting my hands on one and replacing it is actually possible.

I don't know when I'll be able to actually attempt it. I got a lot on my plate at the moment, so maybe in a couple months when i have some free time.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

And if anyone has any experience replacing a board or helpful advice in doing so, please feel free share.

Thanks,
johnny

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi johnnyblaze.

I personally don't think the cold temp was the reason for failure.

Heat is an electronic components worst enemy as harddrives do overheat.

I have the following suggestion.

Most towers have a bracket for a case cooling fan, just in front of the harddrive bay area accessable by removing the towers face plate.

I suggest getting a fan and placing one in this bracket, blowing inwards towards the harddrives.

I don't know why, but most towers I have wroked on do not have a fan blowing cool air towards the harddrives!

Now I back up my theory: I often use diagnostic software on harddrives and find they have a history of overheating at some point or another, seagate tools has this feature built into its hardrive

diagnostic test software and I often find most harddrives had a session or two of over heating, sometimes even more than that, which shortens the life of the drive.

Your failure related to cold air is just a coincidence.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

if anyone has any experience replacing a board or helpful advice in doing so, please feel free share.

I've done it once and as dpunisher says, They must match exactly
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users