Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amateur sent to do a professional's job

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JennhatesPCs

JennhatesPCs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

Hi all. Obviously new to the forum.

A little about me:
I run a very small company based in the Seattle area with locations in WA and IL. Since it's a small company, I have about 17 different roles including my least favorite: Network Administrator. The network was set up by an old colleague from a previous life with help from a local consulting firm ($$$) but the daily management and routine maintenance has fallen to me. I'm not a complete computer novice but my background is in finance and materials management so my skillset for diagnosing and resolving security problems is limited to what I can easily download and run, ie. MBAM, S&D, etc. I really am an amateur sent to do the job of professionals.

Most computers on our network are fine and run smoothly with no weird messages, infections, etc that I can see. THere is one PC however that has persistent weirdnesses on startup and is always "coming down" with infections. I have run various anti-malware programs, have McAfee installed, use regular scheduled Windows Updates, scheduled scans, etc but nothing seems to keep it clean over time.

My intent in joining this forum is to figure out what is wrong with this PC, identify any vulnerabilities that permit reinfection and learn how to protect my network going foward.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their help.
Jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

Hello Jennifer and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 new_girl

new_girl

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

hello and welcome to BC :thumbsup:
please visit new user orientation for more information
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

0 user(s) are reading this topic