Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Antivirus program recommendations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Clockwork_Knight

Clockwork_Knight

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

I am looking for a new Antivirus program but I can't seem to decide on which one. I don't know a whole lot about computers. I currently have AVG but it is doing pretty much nothing, not sure it is even working since it wont pick anything up at all. It will run a scan and that's pretty much it.

I'm looking for a free anti virus program, one that wont be a hog on resources or interfere with my YIM or Firefox.

I've heard of Microsoft Security Essentials but I have no idea if its worth getting. Same for so many other antivirus programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

Clockwork_Knight,

Most or any of the good free AV's will work just fine. I use avast! 5 Free, been using avast free products for over 4 years and have never had problems with viruses. I had Avira on for 2 months or so but got tired of the upgrade nag screen. Went back to avast and have stayed with that. Are you using a third party firewall or windows firewall? I read on the MSE forum that is does not play nice with 3rd party FW's. But it seems to a good product but it track record is short at this time, although I did install it on my sisters new W7 a month ago and so far no problems with it.

Do you have any on demand scanners installed, like MBAM or SAS? These are excellent extra protection programs to have installed and scan with once or twice a week.

But before you make any decision go to the forums and read some of the threads. Go to the websites for the av's you are considering and read what they offer in there AV's then post back to your thread here or join the AV's Forum and ask questions before you make a change.

Dan

ps. what is YIM

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials Overview is basically a stripped-down version of OneCare aimed at users who either canít or don't want to pay for antivirus/anti-malware software.Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

Independent comparatives of Anti-virus Software <- click on the "Comparatives" link on the left
TopTen Review: AntiVirus Software Product Comparisons
gizmo's Best Free Antivirus Software
AntiVirus Software Comparative Malware Removal Tests
Virus Bulletin <- requires registration

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users