Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help restoring backed up files during system restore

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stksidehi8

stksidehi8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Ok so here's my issue:

The other day I performed a non destructive system restore on my hard drive, because I had a good amount of videos and music on my pc that I didn't want to lose.

Now when I try to access the folder that the videos were in (which is now a subfolder in the backup folder the system restore created), it says access denied
However, when I go into the backup restore wizard, I am able to access the folder with all of my videos just fine. The problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to restore them using this method.

Whenever I click on a video as if I were going to try and restore it, nothing at all happens. I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the files not being *.bfk files, because the videos only show up when I chose the "show all files" option.

The folders that the videos are in however, are being shown as *.bfk files, however it won't let me restore an entire folder for some reason.

Anyone have any advice?

Edited by stksidehi8, 07 March 2010 - 06:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

Any error messages besides access denied?

#3 stksidehi8

stksidehi8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

Nope, all it says is that the folder is not accessible and access is denied

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

What program...was used to create the backup?

Have you read the instructions provided for using that feature, if you are talking about a recovery/restore disk provided by a system manufacturer?

Louis

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

Try to take ownership of the folder in question: http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 stksidehi8

stksidehi8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

I didn't use a program to create the backup. It was the standard non destructive repair on a gateway laptop.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

Might be worth reading, http://support.gateway.com/s/manuals/desktops/9532287.pdf

Louis

#8 stksidehi8

stksidehi8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

I had already read that Louis. Its just everything I already knew basically...no info on how to solve the problem.

As for the taking ownership of the folder approach, everything went well except for that fact that I never received the message:

"You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes."

So unfortunately this didn't work either. Is there a reason why I didn't receive that message? And yes, I chose the administrator user.

This is beginning to get very frustrating. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users