Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1stsgt

1stsgt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

When it failed I reran it unfortunately it has created 2 additional files in my C drive I will call them first and second for discussion, second was created about 10 minutes after first. These folders contain what appears to be IDENTICAL copies of the original C drive contents. What I did wrong is unknown but I know these need to be removed. Question is why did this happen (I assume it was because c/fix was ran twice and never cleared them). Should I simply delete these files? What exactly are these files?
I was told to run c/fix by someone who knows how to use it from a reputable company.

Thanks in advance
:thumbsup:

Edited by 1stsgt, 07 March 2010 - 06:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

I will have one of our malware team post here shortly. Please listen to only their advice as they are the experts.

Thanks

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hello 1stsgt,

When it failed I reran it unfortunately it has created 2 additional files in my C drive I will call them first and second for discussion, second was created about 10 minutes after first. These folders contain what appears to be IDENTICAL copies of the original C drive contents. What I did wrong is unknown but I know these need to be removed. Question is why did this happen (I assume it was because c/fix was ran twice and never cleared them). Should I simply delete these files? What exactly are these files?
I was told to run c/fix by someone who knows how to use it from a reputable company.

Thanks in advance

Could you please post the exact name of the files you are referring to. This will make a difference in whether they where created by Combofix or not.

If your referring to Combofix.txt1 and Combofix.txt2. You can safely delete these as long as you know your machine is all clean.

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#4 1stsgt

1stsgt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thanks in advance
:thumbsup:

#5 1stsgt

1stsgt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

Have found answer - the created file were removable w/o problem. Created when cfix ran and are auto remove at end of run. Cannot post names due to group supplying the c/fix version uses special name(s) to avoid hacker/virus posters to block cfix run.

Many thanks for quick response I am learning an awful lot here and more and more about virus removal.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

due to group supplying the c/fix version uses special name(s)

Would you mind telling us which group this is?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users