Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WebHosting and Domains

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hi all,

I want to start to make a website, I have done research and I have noticed that there is Free Web-hosting as well as Free Domain Registration.

What is the disadvantage of that I just don't get it is it some sort of bait? :thumbsup:

I just think it sounds to good to be true.>

Edited by JUICYboy, 07 March 2010 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

Free Domain Registration just means that you can register a domain with someone's name servers for free. That doesn't mean you get a domain name for free, although there are some free hosting sites where you can get free subdomains. For free domain registration, one can use a service like afraid.org. You have to set up everything yourself though.

With a free web host, you are going to have limited bandwidth and limited support. They may also place ads on your website. there are a ton of threads here that discuss free web hosts. Just do a search for them.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

My (limited) experiences with free domain registration are all ones where the following are true:

1. There's a catch
2. You don't own the domain name, they do
3. There's a catch.

Domains are cheap to register, so why not?

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

Thank-you Well let me see if Understand:

Free Domain, and Web-hosting
1)I don't own the domain
2)I get no help
3)They can place ads

To start of with I am OK with that just to try it out thank-you guys sooo much. Have a great day. :thumbsup:

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

If you get a free host with a subdomain, you might be interested in http://www.dot.tk. They offer free domains that end in .tk (the country specific TLD of Tokelau) I used them once eons ago, but didn't have a negative experience.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

So none of you have heard of Gandi.net. They are giving away 55,000 free domain names from 1st March to 10th March to their customers. If you are not a customer, just register and become a new customer and you would get 1 domain name free. Their older customers can grab upto 10 domain names. The domain name would be valid for 1 year and after 1 year, you would have to pay for further registration. You can register .com, .net, .fr, .info and many more.

https://ten.gandi.net/

I have grabbed one, and so far there seems to be no catch. Whois shows your name and address for the domain name. You can even transfer the domain name to your regular registrar. You can set your own DNS nameservers etc.

#7 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

There was a topic on this a while back, I eventually went with bluehost and never looked back, take a look.

Hope this helps, Wolfy87.

#8 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

I've worked with freehostia who have a great free service on a sub-domain (www.yourwebsite.google.com is a google subdomain)
Unlimited web hosting has very good customer support and can help with most things for pretty cheap.

PM me or make a thread here if you need any more help.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

Since this is not a topic about which free hosts to use, and there already exists a bunch of threads that discuss free hosts, I am locking this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users