Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introduction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ian_a

ian_a

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

Hi. I've always found this website very informative and helpful.

Like many people, I use computers in my work a lot, while not being an IT professional. I'm a data analyst (specifically, a demographer). As a public servant, I'm using a quite up-to-date IT environment. This has given me the opportunity to develop two sets of IT skills: I know my way around a professional Windows/MS Office environment pretty well; and I'm quite good at writing SAS code for data analysis.

However, the third area that I clearly need to get better at is home computing. Many of the tasks that the IT division at my work look after, I have to see to myself at home. I've muddled along with this over the years - in fact, I'm treated as the de facto IT guy in my household - but occasionally I'm stumped.

A fourth area of IT proficiency that uncovers itself here arises from the fact that I'm the Dad in a family of five, not one of the grown-up or nearly grown-up kids - they know much less about internet security, how Windows operates, and hardware. However, they're big users of mobile tech, social networking and the like. Happily, not an area I feel the need to become good at!

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

Now that you have joined, spending some spare time reading the forums and the Tutorials can make muddling through much easier.
Knowledge is power!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 new_girl

new_girl

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

hello ..and welcome to BC
please visit new user orientation for more information
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users