Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Considering going from Vista Home Premium to Win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Computer model: Gateway MT3707, See sig for Ram/basic specs. What I want to do is upgrade to Win7. The Microsoft Upgrade Advisor Tells me the install should be more or less seamless. But I have a few questions before I make the leap.

1. Is vista more or less the same basic structure as Win7? I have alot of programs that say Vista capable, but not sure about Windows 7?

2. Is Win7 as much of a HOG as vista? Not only is Vista in and of itself huge, but just sitting here idle, my memory usage is at around 60%. considering I only have 1gb of ram on that machine, its hurting more than its helping.

3. I plan on upgrading the ram (its cheap anyway) but the system will only take 2gb max. Will Win7 and a dual core processor with 2gb cruise like my single core toshiba with 1gb of ram and XP?

4. If for any reason the upgrade doesnt work, or ends up causing more problems than its worth, will I be able to revert back to Vista without buying another copy.

and finally #5. the version of vista I have is the 32 bit. If i upgrade to 7, will the machine run the 64 bit version? and what is the difference between 32 and 64 bit versions?

Thank you for your time. I appreciate your patience with me as I am new to the forums, i will be reading through the posts, there is so much to learn! LOL.

Josh
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!
2010 ASUStek K50I-RBBGR05 Notebook-Win 7, 4gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Pentium T4400 @2.2ghz
2007 Gateway MT3707 Notebook-Vista SP2, 1gb Ram, Intel Pentium D/C T2060 @ 1.60ghz, CONSTANT problems.
2005 Toshiba Satellite A105-WinXP Home, 1gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Celeron M @1.60ghz, Not a problem yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

Windows 7 is based on Windows Vista Kernel so yes it pretty much is the same foundation. When DirectX 11 cards come out Vista users will be able to access DirectX 11 Hardware Acceleration just as Windows 7 users can. Windows Vista and 7 are not resource hogs, that is a common myth. They both use RAM and system resources more effectively and efficiently then previous windows versions. You will need to run your recovery disks to get back to Vista.

How much RAM do you have?

#3 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

Windows 7 is based on Windows Vista Kernel so yes it pretty much is the same foundation. When DirectX 11 cards come out Vista users will be able to access DirectX 11 Hardware Acceleration just as Windows 7 users can. Windows Vista and 7 are not resource hogs, that is a common myth. They both use RAM and system resources more effectively and efficiently then previous windows versions. You will need to run your recovery disks to get back to Vista.

How much RAM do you have?

It is in the signature ;) but only 1gb on that machine. its what it came with. I will be upgrading whether i make the switch to 7 or not.

My new Laptop has win7, its an ASUStek and I love it. 4gb of Ram is so smooth and fast! unfortunately the max the system can take is 2gb on the gateway laptop.
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!
2010 ASUStek K50I-RBBGR05 Notebook-Win 7, 4gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Pentium T4400 @2.2ghz
2007 Gateway MT3707 Notebook-Vista SP2, 1gb Ram, Intel Pentium D/C T2060 @ 1.60ghz, CONSTANT problems.
2005 Toshiba Satellite A105-WinXP Home, 1gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Celeron M @1.60ghz, Not a problem yet.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

On the 2Gig Machine I would stay with Vista.

#5 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

If you were to upgrade i would recommend to stay in 32 bit just because if you upgrade the ram it 2 GB you will just meet the min requried to run 64 bit and 32 bit can take up to 4 GB of RAM. Also you might not have a 64 bit processer so stay with 32 bit. My processer is 64 bit but i still run 32 bit because only have 1 Gb of RAM (More on the way right now) And when i get more i still wont upgrade to 64 bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users