Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

security setup change

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:47 PM

Hi all,

For a long time I've been using Avira Antivir Free with Comodo Firewall. (Along with Spyware Blaster, MBAM, SAS, MVPS hosts file etc.) I finally got tired of Comodo driving me crazy, and I'm thinking of installing Online Armor Firewall without it's HIPS component, and Threatfire for HIPS, which is supposed to be more user friendly. Anyone think that would be good protection?

I'd love to hear anyone's comments/suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

I think that would be good protection but depending upon your surfing habits you might also want to run your browser in a sandbox (e.g. Sandboxie).

Edited by FiOS Dan, 07 March 2010 - 04:45 PM.

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#3 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

OA + TF provides great protection. But so does Windows Firewall + TF, along with common sense. See Gizmo's Guide to Securing Your PC, Safe Computing in Under an Hour, Safe Web Practices and How to Stop 11 Hidden Security Threats.

#4 NoLuck1000

NoLuck1000

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

I've never tried Comodo Firewall yet but i did tried both Online and TheatFire. All i know is that both of these apps gave me all kind of problems. First of all it slowed down my internet, conflicted with some sofware on my PC and the worst thing is that both gave me a headache when uninstall.

Both apps leave all kinds of stuff behind that need to be clean out, especially in your firewall and internet settings

That's my 2 cents :thumbsup:

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

I tried that exact combo (OA and Threatfire) I quickly uninstalled them and went back to Comodo since they just released Comodo Internet Security 4. I use Comodo (firewall only) + avast free (real time) + malwarebytes (on demand) + spywareblaster + superantispyware (on demand)

They just used too many resources together and I got tired of them slowing down my computer

#6 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

I uninstalled Comodo and installed OA free (with HIPS.) So far it's been much easier to use than Comodo - I'll keep it for a couple weeks to see how it goes, but I may just keep that and forget about Threatfire. I also have Avira free, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware (on demand), Spyware Blaster and MVPS hosts file.

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

If you are not going to install ThreatFire, then you will want to keep OA's HIPS protection on to achieve the best protection.
Good luck :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users