Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"run as" prompt and rebooting during virus scan

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 thejassman

thejassman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hi all,
I'm running windows on a macbook pro (a 40 gb partition yes i know it's small but it gets the job done and prevents me from playing video games).

Lately, I had that ugly XP Internet security virus that prompts you to register and purchase a phishing scam. So i installed the free copy of McAfee from my university's CIT. All of a sudden,though, i keep getting this prompt to

1.) "which user account do you want to run this program as?"

things still run, but it's still extremely annoying to have to check this bloody box off everytime. I suspect that it may have something to do with a active security update by windows, or perhaps a script by McAfee itself, but the the prompt seems to be coming from the registry of windows (it has that little keychain logo on the left hand corner).

2.) When I do run an on-demand scan by McAfee, as soon as the scan begins, the computer just goes to the blue screen of death and reboots and I have to reboot into the partition from scratch. I suspect this is the evil work of another virus, but i don't know which one. If anyone could help me, i would bow down and pray at your knees.

Thanks,
Terry

Edited by Orange Blossom, 07 March 2010 - 03:59 PM.
Move from XP to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users