Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV.EXE virus removal assistance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ctrice

ctrice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

Greetings, I have read other threads relating to this virus but think I need to start from scratch. 2 days ago I began receiving the bogus pop-ups related to my computer being infected along with popups from my Ad-Aware program. I am running XP-SP2, symantec anti-virus, and scan with the free ad-aware program. There were so many pop-ups I could not tell which were legit and which were bogus. Why the heck didnt norton prevent this (rhetorical)?

Anyway, I shut down, rebooted and run ad-aware quick scan, which supposed removed the problem. obviously it did not. I started poking around and and I cannot open "add/remove programs" , "set program access and defaults", Microsoft Office, and I imagine many other things. For all it gives me the "application not found" pop-up. I can access the internet and Mozilla ThunderBird email,although I get the "choose program to open" pop-up before it will open.Also the "always use the selected program to open this file" check box is greyed out.

Obviously, i have some problems. I have always tried to practice safe internet, and thought I was protected with Norton and the ad-aware but I guess i was not. I know just enough about computers to follow instructions without appearing too stupid, I just ask for a little help and try not to get too upset if I ask what may appear to be very stupid questions. Thank you in advance for any help you may give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

We have an easy-to-follow tutorial, here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...irus-vista-2010
Give it a go and post back if you have any problems
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ctrice

ctrice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

thanks, I'll give it a shot. If i have questions I'll ask.

#4 ctrice

ctrice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

I followed the tutorial,loaded MalwareBytes, ran it,etc. and all appears good. It found and removed what i assume was the problem files as everything that was not working works. I purchased the paid version of MBytes as suggested since Symantec and ad-aware didnt catch it. Question: Should I remove Symantec and Ad-aware? Leave it alone?

Thank you again for all your help

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

Should I remove Symantec and Ad-aware? Leave it alone?

Malwarebytes is not an AV, so you need to leave Symantec alone, unless you replace it
Should you decide to uninstall it you need to use a special tool.Don't be afraid to ask
If you have the paid-for version of AdAware, keep it but if it's the free version, dump it
It is not that good anymore

Please visit our AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

There is a great deal of information in the pinned topics and you can ask any questions you may have

====================================

Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software, crack sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users