Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Freezing before fully Loading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kerry Sweeney

Kerry Sweeney

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hi everyone,

Very new to this so hopefully someone can help!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 - its 2 years old and never had problems before.

Using it one night it suddenly shuts down (i was watching bbc iplayer at the time) = Restarted it and Windows Error Recovery starts up.

Chose safe mode to try get it up and running quickly but it stalls at crcdisk.sys? It eventually gets past that and almost looks like it will load as normal but it freezes - I can move the mouse but clock doesnt change nor can i even click the start button. Left it for a day and a bit and it worked once so I tried to do a system restore but it wouldnt let me saying driver was in use? Although I didnt have anything open. After that it froze again so I'm back at square one and very confused :S Couple of times when restarting the blue screen comes up and it does a lot of system checks but then restarts again without prompting :S

if anyone can help or suggest what I should do?!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

What does the blue screen say?

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

it stalls at crcdisk.sys

Possible hard drive issue.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users