Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials...I am loving this program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:57 AM

Ok, for YEARS I have been looking for an antivirus that runs quietly in the background, and isnt a system hog. Norton was a No-Go in addition to it being a system hog, it was a HUGE program and i feel caused more problems than it helped. BitDefender was great, but I couldnt figure out how to make it let me play certian games over the internet. Kaspersky is annoying as a swarm of mosquitoes at best, Trendmicro, well...dont get me started. McAfee was it for me for awhile, but I felt it still wasnt good enough. I have McAfee Total Protection 2010 and I liked it, until a computer guru friend of mine told me it just wouldnt do the job like some other ones. He pointed me to Microsoft Security Essentials a few months ago (maybe less, i dont know the days kinda run together out here) and I have never been more pleased.

But now I am left to wonder. This program runs SEAMLESSLY with windows (as it should), and i get notifications every once in a while, so I know its working, but it just seems to be too quiet. It never interferes with my day-to-day activities and seems content to just sit there and keep me safe. Is this prgram to good to be true? Do I need to be running something else to supplement it? I already run Malwarebytes and CCleaner regularly. I dont know, it just seems too easy of a program...ever other AV i have ever used has been a pain in my arse.
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!
2010 ASUStek K50I-RBBGR05 Notebook-Win 7, 4gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Pentium T4400 @2.2ghz
2007 Gateway MT3707 Notebook-Vista SP2, 1gb Ram, Intel Pentium D/C T2060 @ 1.60ghz, CONSTANT problems.
2005 Toshiba Satellite A105-WinXP Home, 1gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Celeron M @1.60ghz, Not a problem yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:41 AM

Just a few thoughts.

Do I need to be running something else to supplement it?

Only one Anti-virus program should be used to avoid conflicts.

I use the current Avast ver 5, which seems to do a good job.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Avira is another program which is very popular. Both are free.

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira..._antivirus.html

There will always be those who say that these programs hog system resources; I haven't found that with Avast,
indeed in the years when I used McAfee, which I paid for, for a long time, I had more problems than ever I do now
and I have read so many complaints about Norton, that I wouldn't even give it the time of day.

Here comes the rain.

I would also like current information about Microsoft Security Essentials; at the moment, all I can say
about it is that 2 months ago, when it was in, or just about coming out of beta, I read a review of
several programs and at that time, Avira and Avast topped the list, with 4 out of 5 'stars' and
MSE achieved 3 out of 5.

I decided to wait until the program was improved; the view of the magazine (PC Advisor) was
that the program showed promise. It's ability to detect and block malware was neither good or bad.
Overall detection rate put it in fourth place.

Until I see better reviews, now it has been in use for a while, I shall be staying with Avast.

I also run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware regularly, (on demand, not realtime).

CCleaner is an OK program, but should NOT be used for registry cleaning. The view in these
forums is that registry cleaners can cause you more problems, than they solve.

I hope that others will contribute their opinions of MSE.

Edited by petewills , 07 March 2010 - 05:45 AM.

#3 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

MSE is a good AV and you do not need to switch. If there's no alerts, then maybe you're not infected. :thumbsup:
But if you want to be sure you can also use Malwarebytes Antimalware and xxxxxxxxx as on-demand scanners.

The only thing you'll need to supplement MSE (and MBAM and Hitman Pro on-demand) is safe practices. No matter what AV you have you'll almost certainly get infected if you don't have some common sense. See Gizmo's Guide to Securing Your PC, Safe Computing in Under an Hour, Safe Web Practices and How to Stop 11 Hidden Security Threats.

Edit: The Hitman Pro download link was removed.
We do not recommend this program, as it is using some others' programs, without the authors' consent.

#4 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

i do have mbam and run it at least 3x a week. being that I am in a foriegn country where communications arent strictly regulated (if at all, it is Iraq) I take the EXTRA precautions. thanks guys!
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!
2010 ASUStek K50I-RBBGR05 Notebook-Win 7, 4gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Pentium T4400 @2.2ghz
2007 Gateway MT3707 Notebook-Vista SP2, 1gb Ram, Intel Pentium D/C T2060 @ 1.60ghz, CONSTANT problems.
2005 Toshiba Satellite A105-WinXP Home, 1gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Celeron M @1.60ghz, Not a problem yet.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:28 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials Overview is basically a stripped-down version of OneCare aimed at users who either canít or don't want to pay for antivirus/anti-malware software.Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Fantastic Info. Its not that I cannot pay for AV protection, its the fact that...well why should I when so many free products exist. Everything I have read has told me that MSE+windows firewall+mbam=decent protection. I guess thats all one can ask for. I understand sometimes things get through, but I havent ever had the unfortunate opportunity to fight against a virus, never had one and hopefully I never do.
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users