Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My situation has gone from bad to worse (regarding Rougeware)...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AtrocityExhibition

AtrocityExhibition

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:45 AM

I was on the internet on a couple of sites, and suddenly the computer was attacked with what called itself Antivirus XP 2010. It didn't allow me to access the internet, but I kept it at bay by using the task manager to constantly end task.

So I tried going to several sites to fix this thing, starting with the tutorial at this site. Nothing would help. I downloadeded a programed called "Spyware Doctor" or something like that, but it was a trial version and just exacerbated the rogueware, so I deleted it, but didn't restart the computer yet.

I used MBAM, and it only found three files in the registry that were considered dangerous. I deleted them and then restarted as per the usual instructions. Now when I turn my PC on, the only thing that appears is the Antivirus XP 2010... after I exit the program, nothing more shows up. What I mean by that is the only thing visible is the background picture... no icons, no program, no clock, no taskbar... nothing.

I think that the worst problem is that it was a cheap computer, so the only thing that came with it is a recovery disc, and not a copy of Windows XP.

By the way, this only affects the computer in question, right? It won't go through the router and harm anyone else's computer?

If you need more information about my computer (specs and such), just ask. And thanks for any help in advance. I'll get back to you guys whenever I can (via my sister's laptop).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

can you boot into safe mode and then do a scan with malwarebytes??

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

MawareBytes is designed to work best in Normal Mode. Running it in safe mode will not help resolve the issues in this case.

@ AtrocityExhibition,

Since you have followed the removal guide and are still experiencing problems, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 AtrocityExhibition

AtrocityExhibition
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

I assujme I'll have to do this all through safe mode, because normal startup gives me absolutely no chance in hell to do this.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

Since you can't boot in normal mode, then yes please do it in Safe mode. Please include that information in your new topic.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users