Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed "Security Tool"- can't replace HOSTS file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 monkeydog

monkeydog

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:13 AM

I just got done removing the "security tool" virus using the guide here at BC. The last step of the guide (Remove Security Tool and Security Tool uninstall guide) said that I needed to delete the System 32 Hosts file as it was corrupted and then download new Hosts file.
The download link provided in the removal guide only shows me an example of what they look like and doesn't actually download anything I'm wondering if there is somwhere else that I can find a download for the Vista Hosts file. Am working on an Acer laptop running windows vista and have allready deleted the old file per the instructions. I'm not having any luck finding anywhere to replace it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:41 AM

will this be of help to you

http://www.tech-pro.net/how-to-check-repair-hosts-file.html

#3 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Funnel Web, I had not emptied the recycle bin yet so was able to recover the deleted hosts file and then edit it with help from the link you provided. I would never had deleted it to start with except the instructions in the Security Tool removal guide directed me to do so. All is good now though, so thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users