Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System not comfigured for Office

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HoopersJudge

HoopersJudge

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

I installed Microsoft Office on my Dell netbook by dragging the application folder that I have backedup on an external; drive to the netbooks program folder. When I try to launch any of the Office apps, I get an error message that reads the operating system is not currently configured to run this application. Does anyone know how I configure the OS? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

You can't run a program using the Program Files from another computer. It doesn't work that way. There is more to your programs than just those Program Files you can see. There is a lot of registry stuff, as well. Just copying the Program Files over does not install it on the netbook (or any other computer, for that matter). You must actually go through the installation.

Assuming you have a legal Microsoft Office disc, a valid product key, and no USB external optical drive, here is how to install programs in general (from a CD or DVD) on a netbook:

On a computer that has an optical drive, download and install ImgBurn. With the Office installation disc in the optical drive, "Create image file from disc" using ImgBurn.

Now, on the netbook...download and install Virtual Clone Drive. Using a flash drive or similar means of transfer, copy the ISO file you made using ImgBurn from the computer it was made on to the netbook (computer to flash drive, flash drive to netbook). Mount the ISO file using Virtual Clone Drive on the netbook.

You should now be able to install Office on the netbook as if you had the physical installation disc in a drive (or any other program that requires the use of an optical drive).

If you don't have a disc for Office, you still have a few choices. You can download and install the Office 2010 Beta, use Open Office (I don't like it, personally), or go buy a 2007 or 2003 Office disc.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 HoopersJudge

HoopersJudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am confused as the netbook doesn't have a cd/dvd drive.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

You're welcome. Yes, you're not the first to be thrown for a loop by the lack of an optical drive on a netbook. The summary of a netbook is: how much are you willing to compromise for portability? An optical drive is one of those things. But that's the price you pay for portability.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

#5 HoopersJudge

HoopersJudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hmmm, so how do I install the application?

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

Office itself? Read my directions again. Here's a recap: once you make the ISO on another computer, then mount it using Virtual Clone Drive on the netbook, it should Autorun. If not, just open up the Virtual CD drive where you mounted the ISO and double-click the Setup application.

Or are you talking about the other programs I gave links to? ImgBurn and Virtual Clone Drive.....they are just .exe installers. Should be very easy to install.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Go and buy a USB CD-ROM for your netbook.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

Go and buy a USB CD-ROM for your netbook.

That is probably the easiest, although most expensive option. Doing it my way achieves the same effect, albeit slightly more effort (but no cost).

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

LITE-ON 8X DVD+R USB White 8X External Top Load DVD/CD Burner Model eTAU208-46 LightScribe Support - Retail 49.99

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having one of those myself for my netbook. But personally, I'd rather have fun playing around with the software and figuring out how to overcome the limits of the netbook, rather than chuck out $50-$60 for an optical drive I'd only use once or twice. But once again, that's just my opinion. I don't necessarily expect others to follow suit.

For a beginner, yes, it would definitely be a major benefit. Most people aren't patient enough to screw around with ISO ripping or making external drives bootable and things like that (it can be quite a task sometimes). Those are the exact things that I love to try to figure out. It's what keeps computers interesting, for me at least. Figuring stuff like that out.

But, yeah. If you want the simple, easy route, buy the external optical drive (probably the better option in most cases). Or if you want to try the "interesting" way, do the ISO ripping and mounting. Same effect, different methods. Your choice.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users